General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

New and looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 07:12 AM
greygoose is on a distinguished road
Default New and looking for advice

Hello everyone, my name is Chris and I'm new to blazerforums.

Years ago I owned a 1999 Jimmy SLT and I have to say it was the worst vehicle I have owned to date. It seems I was always, ALWAYS fixing something on it, and I bought it new and did regular maintenance. That being said, I know that most have very little trouble with them and they are very reliable. My father in law has a 97 with almost 200k on it and no major problems.

I am here today because I would like to get another blazer / jimmy / bravada for my little brother. I found a 97 with 80k on it and I am looking for advice on what to look for when we go and test drive this vehicle in a few days.

Also, are some years better than others? I know that they changed some things on the 4.3 between 96-99 one of which was ditributorless ignition if I remember correctly. I know my father in laws 97 has been far more reliable than my 99 was. Are the earlier models better?

Thank you in advance for any info you guys can give me.

Chris

Old 01-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i got a 2000 and it has a distributor. its not the DLS. make sure the 4wd works thats somthing i didnt do and had to change a transfer case out. oil coolers lines go fast on these things so check those and ask if they have ever been replaced (if they havent they are going to need to be). other than that i've had a few abs issues but most of them were because of bad ball joints breaking and destroying sensors. (check the ball joints out). 4.3L bulletproof if you dont go crazy adding horsepower

Old 01-15-2010, 08:10 AM
greygoose is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
i got a 2000 and it has a distributor. its not the DLS. make sure the 4wd works thats somthing i didnt do and had to change a transfer case out. oil coolers lines go fast on these things so check those and ask if they have ever been replaced (if they havent they are going to need to be). other than that i've had a few abs issues but most of them were because of bad ball joints breaking and destroying sensors. (check the ball joints out). 4.3L bulletproof if you dont go crazy adding horsepower
You have a distributor? My 99 did not.

Anyway, thank you for the tips!!

Old 01-15-2010, 08:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Every 4.3L GM truck engine produced has a distributor. The general never went to DIS on the 4.3L engine. So yes, your '99 does have a distributor. It does not have the plug wires out the top like the old style distributors did, but never the less, it has a distributor. And it is the same distributor as your dad's 97 has as well. The motors are practically identical.

The mid-02+ engines have the most improvements so I would lean towards these. You want to look for the missing EGR valve on the front of the lower intake to show that it is the newer motor. The newer the truck, the more improvements have been made to the 4L60E transmission as well.

I would not say that the earlier SCFI second gens (96-97) were more reliable per say. It sounds like you just got a lemon and your dad has an exceptionally good truck.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:06 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

The only major problems that I have had on my 97 Jimmy before I lifted it was a sweet ball joint failure, check those to see it they are any good, and I had to replace my radiator at about 155xxx mile. All my other problems have come as a result of lifting, so they wouldn't really pertain to a stock vehicle. Oh yeah, check the CV shafts for cracks in the boots if it's 4x4 as well as checking the u joints and check for leaking fluid from the transfer case, front and rear differential, and the transmission. Other than that, check all the basics that you would on any other vehicle.

Old 01-15-2010, 05:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by papacope
The only major problems that I have had on my 97 Jimmy before I lifted it was a sweet ball joint failure, check those to see it they are any good, and I had to replace my radiator at about 155xxx mile. All my other problems have come as a result of lifting, so they wouldn't really pertain to a stock vehicle. Oh yeah, check the CV shafts for cracks in the boots if it's 4x4 as well as checking the u joints and check for leaking fluid from the transfer case, front and rear differential, and the transmission. Other than that, check all the basics that you would on any other vehicle.
i had an interesting ball joint failure too. cut through 4 lanes of traffic dodged 2 semis & a van . cut back across traffic to get to a driveway. didnt hit anyone

Old 01-15-2010, 05:38 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a fun ride Spectreblazer.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by papacope
Sounds like a fun ride Spectreblazer.
a change of pants, a tow truck and $800 later here i am. how'd you break yours?