General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

No lights on 4x4 switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2023, 07:21 PM
Beginning Member
Ian McCauley is on a distinguished road
Default No lights on 4x4 switch

My three button 4x4 switch shifts normally and the mode light illuminates on all three buttons but the dash light portion does not light up. I've tried two different switches one being brand new and still no dash light. There is 12vdc running into the switch from the white connector with two wires. What am I missing? Bad ground? Which wire is the ground?

Old 01-06-2023, 08:26 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

To be honest, I don't have a clue what you are talking about. I only have the 3 button switch with no indicator on the dash. If you a shifting into 4wd with no problem, I'd say it is a bulb problem, on whatever it is that isn't showing a light.

Old 01-06-2023, 08:27 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

What year is your truck? My '98 doesn't have a 4WD cluster light, only the buttons on the switch light up. I have a "Service 4WD" light in the cluster, but that's it. Or am I misunderstanding and it's the light on your buttons that are not lighting up? If so, I did a thread on that the button lights you can find in the Transfer Case Switch link in my signature.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:10 PM
Beginning Member

This is my '01 Sonoma ZR2/Highrider. Well AJBert I guess it is a little hard to explain but I like the buttons on my 4x4 cluster to light up like the buttons on my radio, they used to but now do not. It's said a picture is worth a thousand words so here's two. Second one is a little blurry but I think you can get the idea. Rockp2 I guess it's what you're calling the cluster light is the issue. Mine has a single LED to light up the cluster. It was working and now it is not. The orange button/mode lights work. I have no codes or service lights and the same thing happens when I change the switch out with a new one. All fuses checked and are good. I've change the TCCM out with two spares I have, no change. Everything works as it should minus the cluster lighting up so I can see what range I'm in at night.

Old 01-06-2023, 09:34 PM

If it does not light up with all other cluster lights when you first turn the key, I would first suspect the bulb. However, I am not real strong on led lights, so I do not know the likelihood of the led "bulb" going out or not. But either way I would probably end up pulling the instrument cluster to do checks on the bulb. UNLESS a wiring diagram would show wires/connectors I could check without pulling the cluster. Problem is, I do not know if a wiring diagram would drill down to specific level of that bulb, or if it would just end at the connection to the cluster overall or that section of the cluster.

Last edited by rockp2; 01-06-2023 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

Since I tried a two other switches, one being brand new, and neither would light up I'm thinking I'm chasing a wire problem and need a wiring diagram so I can figure out what wire is ground and where it grounds out on the vehicle. I'm going to try re-soldering the pins on the switch tomorrow just because I can but I'm not expecting this to fix the issue. There is power from the dash light dimmer switch going to the cluster so that makes me think it is a grounding issue. I really hate electrical gremlins.

Old 01-06-2023, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Ian McCauley
Since I tried a two other switches, one being brand new, and neither would light up I'm thinking I'm chasing a wire problem and need a wiring diagram so I can figure out what wire is ground and where it grounds out on the vehicle. I'm going to try re-soldering the pins on the switch tomorrow just because I can but I'm not expecting this to fix the issue. There is power from the dash light dimmer switch going to the cluster so that makes me think it is a grounding issue. I really hate electrical gremlins.
If you go to a site called "Alldata" you can buy a subscription for your vehicle for around $50 a year that will provide you with OE as well as colored wiring diagrams and the complete shop manual. I'm kind of thinking the re-soldering the switch probably won't solve your issue, especially with the fact you have a new switch.

Old 01-07-2023, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member

Looks like that's the route I'll have to take unless someone on here has the diagrams and could share them.

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2023, 12:59 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Here ya go:

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01 ZR2 headlights.pdf (419.4 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-07-2023, 01:11 PM
Beginning Member

Thank George but do you have the diagram for the three button 4x4 switch? It's just the cluster light that is not working. Does anyone know what the white plug with two wires does? It has a ppl/wht and brown wire. When I put my multimeter to it I get 11.5vdc after I turn on my vehicle lights. I assumed it was for the cluster light but I've heard that comes from the gray wire on the blue connector.

Quick Reply: No lights on 4x4 switch