General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

No lights on 4x4 switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 01:47 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Now I think I'm following you, you're referring to the fact that the white printed "2WD""4HI""4LO" isn't illuminating...correct?

Old 01-07-2023, 01:50 PM
Beginning Member
Ian McCauley is on a distinguished road

Correct!

Old 01-07-2023, 01:55 PM
Beginning Member

I tested the gray wire(H) to the black wire(G) on the blue connector and got 10vdc. I rotated the dimmer switch up and down and the voltage changed from 10vdc down to 6 and back up so I'm assuming this is means the connections are good and should be enough to power the LED in the switch. Hate gremlins.

Last edited by Ian McCauley; 01-08-2023 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2023, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ian McCauley
Correct!
LOL. I thought you were saying you had a "4WD" light that was in your INSTRUMENT PANEL cluster. That's why myself and another were wondering what the heck you were talking about.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:08 PM
Beginning Member

Got ya. My brain was fried yesterday trying to figure out how to explain the issue I'm having that's why I posted the picture.

Old 01-07-2023, 02:14 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Try this. Your being assisted by others already so I won't jump in unless asked:

George

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
01 4x4 lights.pdf (962.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 01-07-2023, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Try this. Your being assisted by others already so I won't jump in unless asked:

George
Help him out George. You have the '01 data, connector views, ground locations, etc.

EDIT: I'll be in the background in case I see something that might help.

Last edited by rockp2; 01-07-2023 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 01:59 PM
Beginning Member

I tried to measure resistance between pins G and H on two of my switches, one old and one new, with my multimeter. Neither gave me a reading let alone continuity so either the meter is bad or the bulbs are indeed burned out. I have to remember the used ones are old enough to legally drink in the US and new out of the box doesn't guaranty anything.

I did re-solder the pins on both used switches I have, the original functions much better and the 4HI indicator lamp works perfectly now. The 4HI indicator on the used one I bought did not work and only occasionally would shift the transfer case but after re-soldering the pins it is working flawlessly. Only issue is the illumination lamps do not work on either of them.

So I bought a new meter and tested pins G and H on the switches this morning. Still nothing so I'm leaning towards the bulbs being bad, even on the new switch if it even has a bulb. The truck is gone on a fishing trip to Oregon for a couple weeks so it will be a while before I can report back any progress.

Below is the switch diagram I'm looking at. I really appreciate everyone helping me try to figure out what is causing this issue.

Last edited by Ian McCauley; 01-08-2023 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 02:09 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

So all of the switch functions now work OK and the only thing left is the panel illumination inside the face of the switch/buttons?

George

Old 01-08-2023, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Ian McCauley
I tried to measure resistance between pins G and H on two of my switches, one old and one new, with my multimeter. Neither gave me a reading let alone continuity so either the meter is bad or the bulbs are indeed burned out. I have to remember the used ones are old enough to legally drink in the US and new out of the box doesn't guaranty anything.

I did re-solder the pins on both used switches I have, the original functions much better and the 4HI indicator lamp works perfectly now. The 4HI indicator on the used one I bought did not work and only occasionally would shift the transfer case but after re-soldering the pins it is working flawlessly. Only issue is the illumination lamps do not work on either of them.

So I bought a new meter and tested pins G and H on the switches this morning. Still nothing so I'm leaning towards the bulbs being bad, even on the new switch if it even has a bulb. The truck is gone on a fishing trip to Oregon for a couple weeks so it will be a while before I can report back any progress.

Below is the switch diagram I'm looking at. I really appreciate everyone helping me try to figure out what is causing this issue.
I was pretty amazed when I found those hairline cracks originally that led to writing up that fix thread. I used 10x loop to find them and to be honest I wasn't necessarily even looking for them. I was just trying to see what I could see

Last edited by rockp2; 01-08-2023 at 02:15 PM.

Quick Reply: No lights on 4x4 switch