General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Non-ZR@ vs. ZR2?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 AM
99 Blazer 4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Non-ZR@ vs. ZR2?

Quick one how come they seem to make more cool stuff for the ZR2 and kinda seem like they leave the regular blaze out to dry. I don't know how it is for everybody else but around me there seems to be thousands of regualar blazers and I think I have honestly only counted probably 10 ZR2. Can some of the stuff like the coolshackle kits that hang out of the bumpermade for the ZR2 be used on a non ZR2 if you install a ZR2 bumper. What really is the difference besides the extra ground clearance and a little better suspension. Can sh*t be converted so you can use ZR2 stuff on a non-ZR2 blazer. Wow longer than I thought. Any clues?

Old 10-02-2007, 09:01 AM
Zed
Zed is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Non-ZR@ vs. ZR2?

The following factory-installed features are what made the ZR2 standout from other 4x4 trucks offered in the S-Series class. [ul][*]Ladder Type Frame with Modified Mounting Points[*]100mm wider track (3.9 inches wider than regular S-10)[*]Increased Ground Clearance (Approx 3" over Regular S-Series 4x4)[*]Enhanced front (7.25" ring gear) and rear (8.5" ring gear) axles w/ 3.73:1 rear-axle ratio[*]Larger wheel and axle bearings[*]31 x 10.50" BFG A/T Tires (Pickup), 31 x 10.50" BFG Longtrails (Blazer)[*]Fender Flares [ul][*]Spectra Gray on the Chevrolet Models, despite body color. Body color on all GMC Models.[/ul][*]46mm gas pressurized Bilstein Monotube shocks[*]Rear Track Bar (Pickup), Front Anti-Sway Bar (Blazer)[*]Skid Plates[*]Front/Rear Disc brakes (1998-2005) , Disc/Drum brakes (1994-1997)[*]Full Size Spare Tire[/ul]

Old 10-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm assuming you're talking about the Synergy Offroad receiver tubes? The ZR2 ones can work with a non-ZR2, you just have to drill out your tow hook/skid plate holes a bit to line up with the bolt pattern from the ZR2.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Jigg, I was just wondering. I was just looking for parts for my blazer. I am not ready to start buying or anything I was just startin' to look. I am planning on startin' next year (was gonna be around christmas but I just started a new job so for awhile I gonna be savin' instead of spending as I am gonna need the money for gas (its like a 40 plus mile drive one way). All my friends think I crazy because in this section I posted a question titled Looking for helpful guidence all of them say that I am nuts trying to undertake a project and I am fully aware of what I am getting myself into and I know its not going to happen overnight so I guess you could say I want my ducks in a row before I start to order or start any work. I started about a month ago and I got curious becauseI found several sites that make tons of parts for the ZR2 you know the cool stuff like bumpers and other parts I posted in the in the paint and body section some cool bumpers I found some tell me its overkill but even as my truck is now almost every available (more now that I am single, I am muddin' with the guys) and do have a real use for something like that, heres the the link:
https://blazerforum.com/m_98340/tm.htm
I found these really cool offroad steel bumper and every one is for a ZR2 and theres other stuff thats ZR2 only. Guess I should have bought a ZR2 but when I was looking for a blazer couldn'tfind a ZR2 and at this point I like my truck and if I have to make the sh*t fit I got welder and a cutter. Like I said I feel that I am still in the planning stages where its not to late yet tp change direction or parts used and I am not rich so I only have one shot to get it right and what it to be the best quality I can do and afford. Thanks for your input man its greatly appreciated.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:21 AM

I just replied to that thread... but all of those bumpers are out of production, unfortunately.

The biggest difference in the mounting points is the hole pattern for the tow hooks/skid plate. ZR2's have a different pattern.

Then there's the flares... any bumper made for a ZR2 will be wider than the front of your truck, because they make them to extend out to the edges of the flares.

But, pretty much anything can be made to work, it's just a matter of how much time/effort/money you want to put into getting it to work.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM

Hey thats great man I appreciate the info. Ithe only reasonI mentionedI wasn't ready to order was becauseI ama little different than most I don't believe inasking people who have a business for a livingto go through alot of work for nothing at least yet anyway. I help a friend of mine once in awhile with his business, I know what its like going through a ton of work for nothing, although eventually just don't know when I will get to it at this point, I plan on ordering and I will look you up first. I am glad that there is a couple of you guys onhere that I can go to for advice that is right. I have posted on and tried to help people and have found outI wasn'tquite right buthey I try working off my ownexperience and I have found out it is tough than I thought try to help guys with there trouble just based off of there description. Also I was wondering why do so many guys on here have trouble with there cats? I have 155 plus thousand miles on mine with the original converter and all things I have had to deal with mine has not been do to the converter and I use a schedule of fuel treatment with injector cleaner and octane boost once in awhile if I get a bad tank of gas. Again man I really greatly appreciate your time and when I get ready to start ordering I give you a shout. Zach

Oh and I still pass emissions with no problem.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:23 PM

Oh no big deal at all. I'm on these forums quite a bit anyways, and usually answer questions about all kinds of things, related to my business or not... so i really don't mind it.

As far as the cat goes... no idea. I never really had a "problem" with my cat, but i ditched the stock cat for an aftermarket cat when i had my exhaust done. I figured, after 130k miles, i'm sure it's not operating up to it's full efficiency, and if i'm going to pay to have the rest of the exhaust done, might as well throw that in there too.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM

When I redo my truck a high flow cat and new muffler I think I am going to add to phase 1. I got in a hurry when my stockmuffler blew out and I mean literally blew out at 70 going down the highway. So at the time money was tight no insurance and I had broke both feet, so I put a flowmaster on it and I hate the sound (IMO its a horrible sound with no character. So when I redo its gonna have a Magnaflow. I had one on my last truck and loved it. I wan't a high flow cat, don't know yet if I am going to spit in to dual behind the muffler yet or not but I was thinking of a 2.5"high flow cat piping and muffler and a 3" tip to fit my big truck theme.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:29 PM

Here's my exhaust, it's similar to what you're looking for, it doesn't have a tip, but it has a Magnaflow high flow cat, Magnaflow 18" muffler, and 2.5" piping:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=1RL1SRTZFsU