General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Not the Hatch or button

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 AM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road
Default Not the Hatch or button

Hello ya all its like one am and I am up been up since 5 yesterday morning
got this 93 Jimmy with a lock in the tailgate that works but the plastic handle that surrounds it slips in circles so I figure since I have sat and sun off I would replace it. The button releases the window no problem I just can't get my tailgate down and I am not sure how to take the interior panel off the tailgate with out messing it up. Most posts I've checked are folks who have problems with the electric part of it I don't Any help would be much appreciated. Ya all have a good night and Lord willing I will have this fixed tomorrow. Justplainlucky

Old 03-26-2011, 01:16 PM
Brian_D will become famous soon enoughBrian_D will become famous soon enough

Pretty sure the panel is just some clips and then the metal panel is a few screws.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:37 AM
just plain lucky is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the heads up Brian actually job is done and done easy as cake.The panel had a screw on each side at the top of the tailgate and about eight screws at the bottom. With the tailgate panel removed there are openings (one on each side) to release the tailgate, Thank God.I proceeded to get the black handle key lock component out and I thought it was just a c clip it needed(to fix the old one)but it was missing more than that. After a few trips to local auto parts stores I found one with new keys for only 15.00 such a deal! I studied the replacement procedures till I was ready to just figure it out and lo and behold it was held in there with only one c clip a big one but it was too easy !!! that and a few bolts and now my tailgate open like brand new.
Again Brian Thanks for the suggestions You got heart bro have a good weekend.Just plainlucky

Old 04-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member
tlandoe is on a distinguished road

on mine, I have a problem with the actual lock cylinder not locking. I put the key in and it turns with the whole unit just fine, and it closes and opens, it's just the key won't turn and lock it. I follow the instructions on the glass and you can still just open it right up.

I figured I'd just replace it, it's easy enough, only took me like twenty minutes... and then the new lock had the same problem! Is there something I'm missing with these? Some trick? or am I just a fool lol