General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 12:28 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default Oil change.

I am changing the oil in my blazer tomorrow. I was just curious, is there a specific ft-lb rating the oil drain plug should be torqued to? I usually don't care, but I have found myself looking for excuses to use my new torque wrench..haha

BTW, did anyone see where Advance Auto Parts has gallon jugs of Penzoil (all weights) for $7.96 each ($3.42 off of reg. price) until the 29th?? also $1.99 a quart till the 29th..

Old 03-25-2008, 01:24 AM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Oil change.

no i just tighten mine just about as tight as i can go so i can get it off next time too. but ya plz do not use penzoil it creates sludge a lot and thats bad for engines. my dad is a mechanic and has seen penzoil destroy engines quite a bit

Old 03-25-2008, 01:38 AM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

ive never had trouble with it, nor had my grandpa (also a mechanic for over 50 yrs)... so I will continue to use it till I do have a problem...

Old 03-25-2008, 01:45 AM
Starting Member
firemansc32 is an unknown quantity at this point

[align=left]15 to 20 ft-lbs if you really want to be picky about it. This comes from the haynes repair manual.
[/align]

Old 03-25-2008, 02:19 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

I think thats anyone, who looks for excuses to use a new tool!!! LOL

Old 03-25-2008, 12:02 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I would say 15 since that what it says in the chilton book I also have the haynes manual and it says 15-20. If it hasn't clicked and you have it set to 15 just go as tight as you think resonable so you dont strip the bolt or threads.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM

well, as soon as my engine cools, I will be going outside to change my oil. Summertime is almost here so its time to go back to 10w30 instead of 5w30. Also going to flush my heater core and add some more Dex-Crap compatible prestone 50/50..... anyone done a how-to on a quick heater core flush?

Old 03-25-2008, 02:20 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: 94blueknight

no i just tighten mine just about as tight as i can go so i can get it off next time too. but ya plz do not use penzoil it creates sludge a lot and thats bad for engines. my dad is a mechanic and has seen penzoil destroy engines quite a bit
+1 but penzoil platinum is GOOOOOD oil. I've seen it in head to head against mobil 1 and it was close. Myself, i use valvoline max life semi-syn... BY FAR best bang for the buck. It goes 5k and still looks great, and Ive seen really good test results with it too.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:57 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: dbleon

ORIGINAL: 94blueknight

+1 but penzoil platinum is GOOOOOD oil. I've seen it in head to head against mobil 1 and it was close. Myself, i use valvoline max life semi-syn... BY FAR best bang for the buck. It goes 5k and still looks great, and Ive seen really good test results with it too.
ya i use just regular valvoline and i will not go past 3K mi i change my oil every 2500 mi its the best. and valvoline changed every 2500mi is just as good as any synthetic for the most part.

(side note: w00t to my 1000th post! kinda cool thing but ya i'm on this forum the most and its the best)

Old 03-25-2008, 03:11 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point

Try the max life man... it lasts just as long as a syn. and you can get it at wallmart for ~$12... I was changing mine at 3K but i felt bad wasting perfect oil, so i switched to 5k... My dad goes 15k intervals on the max life in his toyota (all freeway driving + he's a cheap ****), and when i change it it still looks deccent.