General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Oil Pressure Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member
Vince's04blazer is on a distinguished road
Default Oil Pressure Gauge

Hi everyone. Just came home in my 2004 2 dr blazer and noticed my oil pressure gauge has been acting weird. As I accelerate the oil pressure gauge goes up pretty high then goes down as I let off the gas. I'm only 17 and I need some advice whether I should take it to the garage or just let it go. Also I just noticed today that when I start the blazer the rpms go up to 1500 and go down to 1200. My blazer has always went up to 1000 rpm in the morning. What's going wrong!!??

Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you need to be a little more accurate in your description.

"As I accelerate the oil pressure gauge goes up pretty high then goes down as I let off the gas.". how high is pretty high? give us the actual # on the gauge. same goes for the last part, does it drop rapidly? or does it come down like your RPM's? how low does it go?

this is all needed, for any of us to give you an idea.

anyone you know hae a mechanical oil pressure gauge? i always like to verify what the electronic gauges are relaying.

also, remember it's Winter, and your oil pressure tends to be higher on cold starts. same goes for your RPM's. i know you're only 17 but this is what the choke on a carb was for (cold starts).

Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

if your stomping on it when its cold.(just started up didnt let it warm up) that gauge is gonna run right around 60. let it warm up and try it again it should stay right around 40. mine does the same thing. also if you notice that it starts runnin lower than 40 chances are your oil cooler lines are going. these trucks are known for this and anyone will agree with me on this. there is 2 sets of them and best bet to do if you never done it before is take off that plastic "skid plate" (they call it that but honestly what is that gonna skid over a babys butt") and see if your hoses are startin to leak. this is just good preventive maintence. do it now than later if there leaking cause its alot easier then trying to do it at 4am in the dark cause you blazers oil pressure dropped like a rock.just thought i should mention it since your on the subject

Old 01-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Beginning Member

The oil pressure gauge goes from about 30 to 70. It drops right down to 30 as soon as i let off the gas. This is my 2nd winter with this blazer and the RPM's have never when up to 1500 when starting.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

that range is kinda on the high side which isnt good. did you try lettin it warm up. these beasts are cold blooded

Old 01-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Beginning Member

I didn't warm it up but it was doing it when it was warm. It's literally doing it every time i touch the gas. I'm thinking there is something going on with the engine because I'm only getting 12 mpg as well.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:37 PM
Banned

you should be getting at least 17mpg. mine got 12 at one time but i didnt have the symptoms that you have. i ended up changing pcv valve, spark plugs and dumping fuel injector cleanner. now i get 19mpg. not really sure on yours what the problem is. as much info you can give about symptoms or other things you notice when your driving it that is out of the ordinary might help

Old 01-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Everything sounds relatively normal here... All depends on how it's driven.

Does the oil pressure stay this high even after the engine is fully warmed up? If so, then you may want to put a manual gauge on to it to verify that the oil pressure sending unit is feeding the proper information to the cluster.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:11 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Everything sounds relatively normal here... All depends on how it's driven.

Does the oil pressure stay this high even after the engine is fully warmed up? If so, then you may want to put a manual gauge on to it to verify that the oil pressure sending unit is feeding the proper information to the cluster.

my thoughts exactly, since we all know that electronic doesn't always mean acurate. just be sure you use a gauge that you know is correct.