General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

One big headache!! Won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 05:58 PM
UDTSEAL is on a distinguished road
Default One big headache!! Won't start!

OK, SO I'M GOING TO MY FATHER IN LAW'S FUNERAL AND START TO PULL A HILL, TRANNY DROPS INTO 2ND. ALL OF A SUDDEN THE ENGINE STARTS TO BOGG DOWN AND WILL ONLY IDLE, ANY ATTEMPT TO GO OVER 100RPM'S AND IT BOGGS AND STALLS. GET SOMEONE TO PICK US UP AND LEAVE IT OFF THE ROAD OVER NITE. NEXT DAY TRY TO START IT AND JUST CRANKS. ONLY ATTEMPTS TO START W/PEDAL TO THE FLOOR AND IT SOUNDS LIKE IT'S HITTING ON 3 INSTEAD OF 6. HAVE THE MNGR OF LOCAL O'RIELY'S COME OUT TO CODE IT AND NOTHING! SHOWS NO BAD CODES. WELL FUBAR THEN SETS IN. GET IN TOUCH WITH LOCAL CHEVY MECH. AND DISCRIBE PROBLEM TO HIM. ASKS IF I HAVE COLD AIR INTAKE, YES, K&N. TRY CLEANING MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR HE SAYS. WHICH I DO AND SNAFU. SPARK FROM COIL GOOD ,TO PLUGS GOOD, NEW TUNE UP 3 WKS AGO FROM ROTOR TO PLUGS. TRY STARTING FLUID AS LAST RESORT AND TARFU!!!! NOW I'M HOPING ONE OF YOU WRENCHS OUT THERE CAN HELP. 2001 ZR2 , 4.3L BLAZER, AUTO TRANNY.THANKS UDTSEAL.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 AM
Roberto Lavin Lopez is on a distinguished road

Fuel Pump is working?
Inyector/poppet valve without a leak?
Any sudden black smoke when problem start?
Any code from PCM?
Also check if spark plug cable are properly engage to spark plug. I get a nasty surprise on Girlfriend's car when a improper engaged spark plug cable just pop off.

If possibly, try to do a fuel pressure test and a cylinder pressure test. Tool seams to be cheaper (and also could get for free) in US than Chile.

I get a similar situation when I remove and clean the injection spider, but just during the first minutes...

Good luck

Old 01-02-2013, 06:21 AM

fuel pump works, no black smoke, no codes at all from pcm. Cables are 8.5mm, new and did check to make sure all were in place. FUBAR! will check the rest, thanks.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:25 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

timing chain?

Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM

any ideas on how to check if timing chain is bad other than cracking it?

Old 01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Probably the inlet lines on the spider. Common problem. Check your oil - does it smell like gas and maybe overfull? This is the dead giveaway of a bad spider. Another is do put a fuel injection pressure gauge on it. there is a little nipple like a tire valve behind the intake on the fuel inlet line - gauge threads on there. There is 3 tests.

Key on not running - should be 58+ psi and hold
Cranking and running - same
key off - should drop no more than 10psi in 10 minutes.

If the gauge drops off and doesnt meet those requirements, you have a leak. Its a simple fix, its called the "nut kit" and will run you about 60 dollars and is not the funnest job to change them out. You will also need the upper intake gasket set for another 40 bucks.

No codes is a dead giveaway to a fuel issue.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by UDTSEAL
any ideas on how to check if timing chain is bad other than cracking it?
Removing timing chain cover?.

It is a lot easy to check just cracking: put your hand at inlet hose and ask someone cracking. If you feel a blow (not only vaccum), timing chain problem.

That the way I figure out a timing belt issue with my father truck....

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Probably the inlet lines on the spider. Common problem. Check your oil - does it smell like gas and maybe overfull? This is the dead giveaway of a bad spider. Another is do put a fuel injection pressure gauge on it. there is a little nipple like a tire valve behind the intake on the fuel inlet line - gauge threads on there. There is 3 tests.

Key on not running - should be 58+ psi and hold
Cranking and running - same
key off - should drop no more than 10psi in 10 minutes.

If the gauge drops off and doesnt meet those requirements, you have a leak. Its a simple fix, its called the "nut kit" and will run you about 60 dollars and is not the funnest job to change them out. You will also need the upper intake gasket set for another 40 bucks.

No codes is a dead giveaway to a fuel issue.
Don't say it again: it was a pain in the xxx remove and replace injection spider in mine 99 Blazer... but it is worst to figure out that gaskets were incorrectly sized after completing the whole job.

But you are right: fuel issues doesn't give you any PCM codes... Fuel manometers are cheap...

Old 01-03-2013, 12:58 PM
Default Fubar or not to fubar

OK, OHSOFLY. PRESSURE TEST HIT 60PSI AND DROPPED TO 42 AFTER 10 MINS. YOU GUYS SAY NO MORE THAN 10 PSI AFTER 10 MINS. NOW I'M JUST AN OLD RETIRED FROGMAN BUT IS IT THE FUEL PUMP? OIL IS NOT OVERFULL, USE ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC, DOES NOT SMELL OF GAS. YOU WERE MENTIONING SOMETHING ABOUT A NUT KIT? WTF IS THAT? EVERYBODY ELSE ON HERE (POSTS) SAYS REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP IF IT DROPS OFF! AGAIN WTF, OVER? I'M USED TO WORKING ON PRE 70'S CARS WHEN EVERYTHING WAS SOOOO SIMPLE. PLEASE HELP AN OLD RETIRED NAVY MAN OUT PARTNA!

Old 01-05-2013, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by UDTSEAL
OK, OHSOFLY. PRESSURE TEST HIT 60PSI AND DROPPED TO 42 AFTER 10 MINS. YOU GUYS SAY NO MORE THAN 10 PSI AFTER 10 MINS. NOW I'M JUST AN OLD RETIRED FROGMAN BUT IS IT THE FUEL PUMP? OIL IS NOT OVERFULL, USE ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC, DOES NOT SMELL OF GAS. YOU WERE MENTIONING SOMETHING ABOUT A NUT KIT? WTF IS THAT? EVERYBODY ELSE ON HERE (POSTS) SAYS REPLACE THE FUEL PUMP IF IT DROPS OFF! AGAIN WTF, OVER? I'M USED TO WORKING ON PRE 70'S CARS WHEN EVERYTHING WAS SOOOO SIMPLE. PLEASE HELP AN OLD RETIRED NAVY MAN OUT PARTNA!

if dropped when engine ( and fuel pump) were shut down, could be a number of things.

Faulty pressure regulator
Fuel lines puntured
faulty internal check valve at fuel pump.

in order to review all posible issues, you could first test fuel presure at pump discharge ( at fuel filter inlet or outlet, for intance.) if pressure manteins certain value, fel pump is ok. then check if there are ali leakage at fuel lines. if not, it could be neccesarry to removes inlet manifold cover and look a fuel pressure reglator. bad pressure regulator normlally lema to the outsida.