General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

opinion on 1973 restored blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:41 PM
Hueydriver is on a distinguished road
Default opinion on 1973 restored blazer

Been looking for a restored blazer when I came across this ad for this 1973 restored blazer. Do you think it warrants a $32,000 price tag?

1973 Chevrolet Blazer K5 for sale at Streetside Classics

Need some advice please.

Thanks!

Last edited by Hueydriver; 01-11-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That is VERY nice.. but 32k.. I would not do it personally. I think you could find one and get it to that for cheaper...
I think the price tag has to do with the website that it is listed on.
*edit*
Looking at more of the photos... I would not even want to drive that thing. it looks show room.
But that being said... that price tag, its too high IMO.. if it was all matching numbers, original paint ECT... it would be selling for that price I think.

Last edited by richphotos; 01-11-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by richphotos
That is VERY nice.. but 32k.. I would not do it personally. I think you could find one and get it to that for cheaper...
I think the price tag has to do with the website that it is listed on.
*edit*
Looking at more of the photos... I would not even want to drive that thing. it looks show room.
But that being said... that price tag, its too high IMO.. if it was all matching numbers, original paint ECT... it would be selling for that price I think.
Appreciate the reply. Yeah I agree the price is too high. They claim its matching but there is no partial vin on the engine so they admitted they couldn't prove it was matching numbers. The claim is based off the builders opinion that the engine looked original. It was a full rotisserie restoration however there are some minor things wrong with it. That fake wood covering that trims the interior is peeling off. Nice blazer though.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The woodgrain is part of the "Cheyenne" package. Nice looking K5, but I agree, a bit high priced.

Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The woodgrain is part of the "Cheyenne" package. Nice looking K5, but I agree, a bit high priced.
Yeah the wood grain he used is like a peel on sticker type. IF you look at the pictures you'll see its peeling off pretty much everywhere. I figure it would take about 500-700$ to get that fixed properly and have a proper veneer applied.

Old 01-13-2015, 12:11 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

My opinion is that a vehicle like this would be bought for a nice weekend driver vehicle that occasionally would be put to work like it was originally built for. Great restoration and good shape is one thing. Matching numbers? This isn't a '63 split window 'vette. It will never be a cult status collector item.

That being said, there are a couple of items that beg a bit closer personal inspection if I were to consider this price range. The mention of replaced gas tank is an indictor to me that there may have been some rust issues. Plus, in the photo of the door post ID tag, there was corrosion on that post under the nice paint. Not to mention the grinder marks in there too. I'd want a personal inspection and documentation photos of the work as it was being done.

Looking at sold listings on eBay as a basis, only 1 has sold north of 20k (just barely) and only a handful of nice ones are over 10k. That is out of over 70 completed sales. Yup, overpriced IMO.

Old 01-13-2015, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by rxjimmy
My opinion is that a vehicle like this would be bought for a nice weekend driver vehicle that occasionally would be put to work like it was originally built for. Great restoration and good shape is one thing. Matching numbers? This isn't a '63 split window 'vette. It will never be a cult status collector item.

That being said, there are a couple of items that beg a bit closer personal inspection if I were to consider this price range. The mention of replaced gas tank is an indictor to me that there may have been some rust issues. Plus, in the photo of the door post ID tag, there was corrosion on that post under the nice paint. Not to mention the grinder marks in there too. I'd want a personal inspection and documentation photos of the work as it was being done.

Looking at sold listings on eBay as a basis, only 1 has sold north of 20k (just barely) and only a handful of nice ones are over 10k. That is out of over 70 completed sales. Yup, overpriced IMO.
I've seen pictures of the restoration which was done in 2011. Not that that's a big deal but the restoration is not brand spanking new. This again isn't a big deal unless you're asking for a premium price which they are. As far as the matching numbers your right not as big of a deal as the muscle car world. I think this truck is more appropriately priced at about $25-26k. They originally had it priced at $34995 but obviously got no bites and lowered it to 32995. It's a shame this guy didn't just put it for sale instead of consigning it. That adds thousands to the price.

Old 01-13-2015, 08:59 PM
Starting Member
rxjimmy is on a distinguished road

NADA guide has this pegged at 20,730 (High Retail). I don't know these Blazers as much as most of you. But would think mid 20's would be a fair asking price with about 10%-15% wiggle room for negotiations. I'm guessing a sell price around 22-23,000. But that is just me. And then there is the taxes title, registration, etc.... Maybe the seller's 32,995 asking price has more wiggle room than most. And yes consigners add to the price with adding absolutely nothing for the buyer. As the consigner, he can hold the car almost forever without incurring any carrying charges. He has no incentive to move the cars out the door. Unless he gets a better, more sellable car that he needs to make room for.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by rxjimmy
NADA guide has this pegged at 20,730 (High Retail). I don't know these Blazers as much as most of you. But would think mid 20's would be a fair asking price with about 10%-15% wiggle room for negotiations. I'm guessing a sell price around 22-23,000. But that is just me. And then there is the taxes title, registration, etc.... Maybe the seller's 32,995 asking price has more wiggle room than most. And yes consigners add to the price with adding absolutely nothing for the buyer. As the consigner, he can hold the car almost forever without incurring any carrying charges. He has no incentive to move the cars out the door. Unless he gets a better, more sellable car that he needs to make room for.

Yeah they're all full of it. These guys are unrealistic and hoping for that person who will buy without thinking. They may find a buyer but I would hope no one pays more than $26k for that truck.