General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Preferred Fuel Additive?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Beginning Member
cdw78 is on a distinguished road

" BG is another popular product "
What is BG?

Old 07-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

BG is ... BG Company

Old 07-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Chalk another vote up for Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment Plus. Not only does it clean the fuel system, but it has a filmer agent in it that protects the fuel level sending unit against sulphur deposits which tear up the sending unit fingers.

Old 08-19-2011, 07:48 PM
Starting Member
MikeRo is on a distinguished road

Failed my emissions inspection yesterday so i'm trying out the Chevron Techron concentrate fuel systems cleaner, We'll see how much she improves

Old 08-19-2011, 08:58 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

LOL.. I feel sorry for you guys!

Anyone here live in Speedway country, use it or Marathon for the most part and see any benefit from seafoam or techron?

It's not I dont believe in additives, I've used the Lucas AT and the PS products and both fixed the problems.. for good!

But I have had exactly ONE Fuel system problem, a leaky injector, in 20 years and close to 500,000 miles, and on all high mile vehicles. I dont count a leaky FPR, cause the diaphragm obviously broke.
Since I got my Bravada and joined this group I asked my two brothers who drive only GM if they ever had injector or fuel pump or EGR problems.
Nope.

My kid's wife's Windstar has had chronic SES light off and on for years, he isnt much on cars but variously told me the codes were DPFE and EGR. But when ignored they seemed to magically go away for a while.
Finally he told her to quit fueling up every tank at the supermarket station. After a couple tanks, the light didnt come on at all. Now he told her to only buy the supermarket when she had enough points to make the fill up half price or whatever.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Chalk another vote up for Chevron Techron Fuel System Treatment Plus. Not only does it clean the fuel system, but it has a filmer agent in it that protects the fuel level sending unit against sulphur deposits which tear up the sending unit fingers.
Is this something you can find at most automotive places?

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant & Injector Cleaner.
Lucas Oil | Hi-Performance Lucas Oil Products Inc. Huge company, they should partner with Royal Purple lol.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about
Default As for the Techron...

Stolen from a porsche site:
All Chevron octane grades have Techron in it, not just premium. Also, ALL Texaco octange grades have Techron now. This is the result of combining the chemistrys of both Chevron and Texaco brands...now that they are the same company: <2001 Chevron and Texaco, 2001: ChevronTexaco, 2006+ Chevron. Texaco and Havoline brands have remained for their recognition.

As for the stations, all feedstock is the same from the refineries for the different octane grades. Tankers from the different companies (Chevron, Exxon, BP, etc) then proceed to different additive terminals before being distributed to the stations. PPM, Techron concentration in gas is not very high. Meant to be a long-term detergent. Fuel system concentrates are essentially a higher dose with some more good stuff added for the occasional "spring cleaning".

Yes, Chevron is mostly in the West (formerly Standard Oil of California) and the south. One major reason for the Texaco merger...spread the love across to the rest of the country. Those international... look for Caltex brand. Its the same as above.

Old 08-20-2011, 08:17 AM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RangerG
Is this something you can find at most automotive places?
yes, try napa or advanced auto parts, i know they both carry it. If not just buy a pack of them online, I promise you wont regret it. And as rottidog stated, they do have their own brand of gasoline which has this additive in it (arguably the best gas on the market).

Old 08-20-2011, 10:46 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zanders
yes, try napa or advanced auto parts, i know they both carry it. If not just buy a pack of them online, I promise you wont regret it. And as rottidog stated, they do have their own brand of gasoline which has this additive in it (arguably the best gas on the market).
Awesome, thanks! I'll assume Advanced Autoparts means Canadian Tire