General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Pull it or not pull it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:29 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

How trustworthy is that Hazard Fraught... excuse me... Harbor Freight... engine hoist? I've found their tools to be... less than trustworthy... in the past.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:48 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by WitchingHour
How trustworthy is that Hazard Fraught... excuse me... Harbor Freight... engine hoist? I've found their tools to be... less than trustworthy... in the past.
I would say go to their website and check out the reviews. The not good ones are mostly because of missing parts, which could've been solved by simply checking the supplied parts against the parts list before building.. but either way, I'm going to look into borrowing one from a friend/neighbor since that'll be free or the cost of beer.. either way cheaper than $150+.

So using the list of parts I posted earlier I priced everything out between NAPA, Advance Auto, and Rock Auto with interesting results..
NAPA costs the most at about $240
Advance Auto next at $210
and Rock Auto cheapest at $135 (AND that's WITH shipping!!)

General Part numbers (from Rockauto) if anyone cares:

Part Number -- Description -- Rockauto Price
BS40520 -- Rear Main Seal -- 13.66
9354PT1 (x2) -- Head Gasket -- 15.32
MS95832 -- LIM Gasket Set -- 9.31
OS34502R -- Oil Pan Gasket -- 20.79
TCS45947 -- Timing Cover Gasket -- 3.23
VS50086R -- Valve Cover Gasket -- 10.05
3818058 -- Expansion Plugs -- 19.53
22443469 -- High Volume Oil Pump -- 32.99

I also found this gasket set which seems nice and it includes the intake, valve cover, and head gaskets and a bunch of other stuff, but it costs about $20 more. I'm thinking it'll be worth it.

HS9354PT3 -- Complete Upper Engine Gasket Set -- 48.79

Anyone see a problem with these parts or their prices? Any gripes about ordering this stuff from Rockauto since I'll almost definitely be buying from them unless there's a good reason not to..

Also still accepting ideas as to any other miscellaneous parts/gaskets to replace as cheap insurance. Your suggestions have been very helpful so far!

Last edited by Blazers.B.Kewl; 04-19-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:01 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
I'll have to check harbor freight again... Expansion plugs huh? I've never even heard of that part! But good to keep in mind. thanks for the suggestion.

My engine is currently at 85K miles, still worth a new oil pump? Is it cheap enough to justify as being cheap insurance?

So far the laundry list of things to replace is the following:
Rear Main Seal
Head Gasket
Intake Gasket
Oil Pan Gasket
Timing Cover Gasket
Valve Cover Gaskets
Lower Intake Manifold Gasket --> Is this just a different name for the intake gasket above?
Expansion Plugs
Oil Pump --> maybe

Anything else that can qualify as cheap insurance?

Expansion plugs are often call freeze plugs. They do NOT protect the engine from freezing. They are used to fill the holes where the sand from the casting of the block is shaken out. By the way, if you put your engine on an engine stand and roll it out into the driveway, you can tilt it to one side slightly and get more of that sand out.Remove the expansion plugs and flush it with a garden hose. You'll be surprised at how much crud comes out of that engine. It doesn't cost much except for a few cents worth of water but it can really help an engine run cooler.

I used my Harbor Freight hoist for years. For a one time use though, X'd see if I couud borrow one. Then again, my hoist is 10-15 years old. I don't know about the new ones as for longevity.

Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Expansion plugs are often call freeze plugs. They do NOT protect the engine from freezing. They are used to fill the holes where the sand from the casting of the block is shaken out. By the way, if you put your engine on an engine stand and roll it out into the driveway, you can tilt it to one side slightly and get more of that sand out.Remove the expansion plugs and flush it with a garden hose. You'll be surprised at how much crud comes out of that engine. It doesn't cost much except for a few cents worth of water but it can really help an engine run cooler.

I used my Harbor Freight hoist for years. For a one time use though, X'd see if I couud borrow one. Then again, my hoist is 10-15 years old. I don't know about the new ones as for longevity.

So, would replacing the expansion plugs really do anything for me? From your description it sounds like they're basically placeholders for holes in the engine. Is there any real reason to replace them?

Old 04-20-2013, 05:35 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blazers.B.Kewl
So, would replacing the expansion plugs really do anything for me? From your description it sounds like they're basically placeholders for holes in the engine. Is there any real reason to replace them?

They are cheap, fairly easy to replace in an engine that is out of the car and if the antifreeze hasn't been refreshed every 2 or 3 years, they can corrode inside. If one leaks while the engine is in the vehicle, they can be a real pain to replace in situ. The ones on the back of the engine require the engine be pulled. How many times do you want to pull the engine?

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
They are cheap, fairly easy to replace in an engine that is out of the car and if the antifreeze hasn't been refreshed every 2 or 3 years, they can corrode inside. If one leaks while the engine is in the vehicle, they can be a real pain to replace in situ. The ones on the back of the engine require the engine be pulled. How many times do you want to pull the engine?
Ah, good point. Thanks for the suggestion then!

Anything else I should consider replacing? I was wondering if it was worth replacing the engine mounts?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

just replace the freeze plugs. its not worth the head ache later down the road. just make sure that you get brass ones. not steel!! the brass is more money upfront, but you wont have to changed them ever again. if you already have brass ones, just pull one of them out to see if they need changing. the easiest way to find out if you have brass ones is with a magnet. if the magnet doesnt stick, then you have brass.

Edit: and yes, replace your engine mounts. its quick and easy when the motors out and a huge PIA when the motor is installed. they arent that much money. i would do both of those and the trans mount in the back just so you dont have to mess with it anymore.