General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

ridiculous mechanic bill, am i wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 04:39 PM
er0ck273 is on a distinguished road
Angry ridiculous mechanic bill, am i wrong?

this is what i got done,

oil change / filter
fuel filter
tires rotated
a few vacuum lines replaced, which i dont think included the one to the transfer case (4wd)
fluids (except washer) topped

$570 w/ taxes .

in your opinion(s), does it take that long to do some of vacuum lines? keep in mind to the ones of you who i talked to before, i got charged separately to do the one line from the check valve to the canister recessed in the drivers fender which add 42.50 to the 570

my mechanic charges 85/hr. and he put down 5.25 hours of labor. i just called and left him a nice message.

am i wrong with being beyond pissed off about this? he let a different than normal guy do the work, and even told me he revised the bill to make it 2 hours less than the "mechanic" told him ..so if this wasnt the revised bill he worked on it for 7 hours? i dont think so...it took 5 to do my lower intake gasket

any input is better than none...i wanna be loaded with info when he calls back probably tomorrow

Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

That is insane....

Old 02-12-2014, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by richphotos
That is insane....
i cant wait to see what hes gotta say to that, if i may ask, what steps are involved in replacing a fuel filter. and est time it would take on a normal day lol. i know where its located and all

also how many actual vacuum lines are there?

one to the hvac, 4wd, and i know theres something else i cant think of at the moment. too mad to think,

Old 02-12-2014, 07:02 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

That does seem high. Can you get a break down on the hours for each job? Did he have unexpected difficulty with any of the jobs? I would try to get an explanation of the total cost. If he does not budge I would never go back and would never recommend him to anyone else. What has been your experience in the past with this shop?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:14 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Fuel filter is not hard to do, if the lines come off how they should, if they dont come off how they should, they usually break. But that would be outlined that it happened.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:27 PM

he does not have jobs broken down by time, he has the total time of work. ive had minor issues fixed with him, hes a family friend and has been in business for over 40 years, he has himself and his main guy, then for the first time i saw another guy and discovered he worked on my vehicle. he is a welder that when he has no projects he "helps" with jobs...well aparently its the first time hes touched mine and did everything buy himself

other than that hes always been honest with me, especially when i had the brake line leak and pep girls tried telling me i had to drop my tank, he did the brake line job in 2 hours, so how the hells vacuum lines and a fuel filter take 5 hours? even if the oil filter and fluids were include theres no way in hell it took that long

correction, hes now at 90/hour but still this guy (that did the work) doesnt deserve 20/hr

also let me mention he broke my inline fuse holder for my amp, it was disconnected and the live wire was just dangling, im lucky it didnt short something serious like the fuse panel

Old 02-12-2014, 08:55 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

According to the GM TSM on a '98 Blazer:

In hours:

Fuel Filter 0.7
Oil & filter 0.5
Tire Rotation 0.5

Can't tell you on the vacuum lines and topping off fluids. But I would guess the fluids at no more than 0.2. Vacuum lines could be a little subjective.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:06 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Stuff like this is why I've never taken my cars to any mechanics (with the exception of a couple re-builds on a TH-350). I can turn wrenches as well as anyone else! The only hard part is the diagnosing, and with this site, that's usually not a problem at all!!

Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

45 mins for a fuel filter?!?!?! seems way high for whats involved. im with cleburne on this one, do it yourself and save about $500.
if he did change the vac line to the T-case then i could see it being higher, but no way it should be that much. the one to the vac canister can be a real pain, but if you remove the bolts for the ABS (?off the top of my head?) module its a bit easier. but it still took me about 20 mins to get the line off and make sure i got all the little bits that broke off.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Twip
45 mins for a fuel filter?!?!?! seems way high for whats involved. im with cleburne on this one, do it yourself and save about $500.
if he did change the vac line to the T-case then i could see it being higher, but no way it should be that much. the one to the vac canister can be a real pain, but if you remove the bolts for the ABS (?off the top of my head?) module its a bit easier. but it still took me about 20 mins to get the line off and make sure i got all the little bits that broke off.
Oh, I'm definitely with everyone else. I was just providing the book info so the OP could see that no matter how you add it up. 5 hours seems way too long for a professional mechanic that has a hoist and all the bells and whistles. Of course this is coming from a guy that has taken over a year to get his truck finished But I don't have a hoist!

$85.00 per hour also strikes me as out of bounds...but that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. BUT on the other hand, I would expect a cost like that at the dealership. But that's why people use non-dealership mechanic shops I thought...the price...isn't it?

Quick Reply: ridiculous mechanic bill, am i wrong?