General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

RV trailer towing

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2020, 08:36 PM
Beginning Member
1999Blazerguy is on a distinguished road
Default RV trailer towing

Anyone know where the most reliable place is to get the towing capacity for my Blazer?
I have the original dealer booklet they used to give out when looking at vehicles. Anyone remember those days? it says 5000 lbs.
Online I have found 5500 and 3500. Big difference.
I will most likely run a weight distribution hitch for safety.
I am looking for the towing capacity without one please.
Also I bought the transmission cooler option, but don't have any idea how to tell if its there. Can anyone tell me what to look for?
Thank you in advance for your help.
1999 4 door LT 4X4 3.42

Old 11-08-2020, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Look on the attached PDf document on page 34. It has the towing capacities for the 99s depending on the suspension and rear end options. (The specs are different for the 2doors on page 33)

Because you have the 3.42 gearing (the GU6 option) in your 4-door, you are probably fine with at least a 5,000 lb towing capacity.

As for the transmission cooler option, I've never seen a stock extra cooler but it is likely installed in series with the cooler that is built into your radiator. The transmission cooling lines come in to the ends of the radiator on the passenger side. With no transmission cooler, there will be one line in and one out. With a cooler in series, one of the lines will have a connection to another tube or hose that goes to another small cooler (radiator) the hose on the other end of the extra cooler going into the main transmission cooler that is built into the radiator. The extra coolers that are added on, normally are mounting in front of the radiator.

Because I learned a lesson the hard way by towing my 2,200 lbs of boat and trailer using overdrive and burning up my transmission, BTW DO NOT DO THAT, I had the shop that rebuilt my transmission install an extra cooler for extra protection. I also installed an oversized radiator. (See my build thread link below.)

For added peace of mind, I added an OBD-II gauge system. Mine is from Ultra Gauge MX (not the EM model) that can also access the temperature sensor that is built into every 4L60E transmission. I would highly recommend you get one of these.
https://ultra-gauge.com/ZC/index.php...909217528b9b0e

My Ultra Gauge. I also use it for checking my speed as with my larger tires the speedometer is a bit off now.

Attached Files
Old 11-09-2020, 12:13 AM
BF Veteran

Something else I forgot to mention: Brake upgrade.

Because of my towing (up and down some pretty steep and long grades) I installed cyro-treated front rotors with special pads. The cryo-treated rotors are used in fleet vehicles for their longer life and being less prone to warping. (Again see my build thread for the link to the description.)

Old 11-10-2020, 10:56 AM
Beginning Member
1999Blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Thank you Christine for all the information. I appreciate it. Thank you also for all the build information too. I will definitely be getting one of those gauges so I can monitor fluid temperatures. Great idea. Still have the original front brakes, replaced rears a few years ago due to stuck calipers. Pads, rotors, calipers. When I do the fronts I will do what you suggest.

Old 11-10-2020, 02:11 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1999Blazerguy
Thank you Christine for all the information. I appreciate it. Thank you also for all the build information too. I will definitely be getting one of those gauges so I can monitor fluid temperatures. Great idea. Still have the original front brakes, replaced rears a few years ago due to stuck calipers. Pads, rotors, calipers. When I do the fronts I will do what you suggest.
You are very welcome. I'm glad my info will be of help to you.