Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Resto/Mod Checklist

Old 06-05-2011, 05:29 PM
pollutionx is on a distinguished road
Default Resto/Mod Checklist

Not sure if this is the correct location for this thread, but I'm sure I'll get some direction.
Recently purchased an 84" K5 in running condition as a project car. I have never done a full restoration on anything before. I have searched the forum as well as the web, looking for some sort of guidelines I should be following for this type of project. What I mean is, I would like to have a general starting point and then suggestions on what to do next. I'm not looking for specific info, just a direction.
What I'm looking to do ultimately is: fix the body (new paint and minor rust), fix interior (almost everything new), new motor (nothing wrong with the one in it, just want more HP), new stronger tranny and diff's., lift kit and new rims/tires. I'm sure I missed some stuff, but I think you get the point.
I have already started removing the carpet and seats.
Any help or information is accepted and appreciated.

Sorry for such a lengthy post.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i don't know your exp level...so these are just some thoughts.

while i don't have any info directly for your year/model. just some simple things i went by......

firstly buy lots of masking tape and sharpie markers...label everything you can...trust me you will forget where things go over time. biggest thing is to develop a system that works for you.

secondly don't rush...be realistic with your time and your budget

thirdly know your limits...it will be cheaper for a pro first go around rather then paying for a mistake to be fixed.

i once restored a 69 gto...took me all 4 years of high school but the patience paid off big time. sometimes it was hard to ask for a pros help...i was a kid and knew it all.

as far as where to start, it sounds like you have picked a direction. now just set your goals and dont bounce around...stay focused. i am sure you will be able to get more specific advice here...and good luck with your new project.

be sure to post pics along the way.