General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Sell or fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 04:56 PM
DanP is on a distinguished road
Default Sell or fix?

I bought my son a 2002 Blazer about a year ago. The salesman prommised it had been taken good care of and nothing was wrong with it. I have replaced the fuel pump, both front wheel bearings, both front CV joints and now the Cat convertor is plugged and the intake manifold is leaking aintifreeze. It is going to cost over $1000 to fix it. Is it worth it or should I trade it off. I seams like everytime I turn around something is wrong.
The Blazer looks very good and no rust but I am not convienced it is very mechanicaly sound.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

all our blazers are like that

you fix something and something else would need repair after a few days or weeks

I say fix it its worth every penny if the trucks in good shape

Old 11-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not saying your truck was abused/neglected, it's just the salesman's guess is as good as anyone else's. They don't know. They buy trucks at auction, and if they're clean, run good, and look somewhat taken care of they'll say it was well maintained.

Intake manifold gaskets themselves are cheap, just expensive if you have a shop do it. It's worth fixing up. RockAuto has the best prices on catalytic converters I've seen, it would be worth calling around exhaust shops to find someone to weld one in.

My mom's '01 4x4 only has 76,000 miles and she pretty much drives like a grandma, shes had it since new. I just recently put a starter in it, it's had 2 sets of wheel bearings 1 set of brakes, door hinge bushings for the 2 front doors. The fuel pump was replaced under the extended warranty in about '05. It's had some other issues as well. I'd say you're doing ok. These blazers are a little tight to work on, but I think the only way to own one for a long time/own an older one is to do all the work yourself or have a friend do the work

Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

unfortunately these are all common issues we have at one point or another.
if you dont wanna pay to fix these things or get good at doing them yourself, it may be time to move on.

all models and makes have issues, some more then others.

i am on my third set of wheel bearings, but in my blazers defense i have 230k on the clock and i am getting good at wheel bearings.

just saying, these rigs need tlc...but will treat you right in the end.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:37 AM
DanP is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the input. I just thought Chevy trucks were better made than this. I don't want to start a brand war but I drive Toyota's and my current 4Runner has over 200,000 on it and the only thing I have done is replace a CV joint. My son does not want a "rice burner' as he calles them so that is why I bought the Blazer. I guess I will fix it up and see what happens. Thanks again