General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

To sell or to mod?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 12:58 AM
TwitchZ28 is on a distinguished road
Default To sell or to mod?

I have a 1993 2dr 4x4 CPFI 4.3 Blazer. But I cannot decide what I want to do with it. I really have no use for a 4x4 and its not the best on gas. There are a lot of things I like about it and a lot of things I do not like. I am simply trying to decide what I should do. Any advice?

so far here is the story. I bought the blazer for 1200. Put in a 100 dollar starter......then had to rebuild the trans so another 700 out the window. So I have just about 2000 in this truck total and here it the specs

134k miles
tahoe
nice all-terrain tires(dayton timberline)
fresh trans now

Things I like
fact its a chevy
reliability
4x4(though ive only used it once)
tires
kinda like the style but not too much anymore thanks to the rust

Things I do not like
the way the motor pulls. its not exactly smooth(not sure if there are any issues its been too damn cold to get out and really look into doing a tune up. I did run seafoam through it and change the oil and air filter but thats about it)
THE RUST. its much worse than the pics look. there are several rust holes and tons of bubbles
the sound from the 2 separate exhaust leaks it had developed. One at the manifolds and one right before the muffler
the countless squeeks
the unbelievable harsh ride. what is that all about. I cant hit a pot hole without going to the ER over a broken spine. damn. my camaro is much smoother and its a sports suspension

this post has got very long. anyways I am not all that educated about blazers and do not know if certain things with mine are just how they are or if mine has issues(ie terrible ride, weird powerband feel, etc) so if my truck has obvious problems please let me know

ending question is should I just sell or trade it for around 2500(if I can get that) or should I keep it, tune it up, fix the rust(gonna be really expensive), get a grill guard and some roof lights and make it look badass?

Last edited by TwitchZ28; 01-17-2011 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Looking at the pics, it looks like the previous owner cranked up the torsion bars up front so that he could get more fron end lift. That will always result in a harsh ride. So perhaps setting the truck back to its normal height and some new shocks might be the way to go. As for the engine, it's winter and your truck probably just needs a tune up, when the weather warms up a bit.

If you're going to sell it then now's the time to do it, but what did you have in mond when you bought it? What would you do to mod it? Lots of great ideas and examples in the build section.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:18 PM

I have never seen another blazer just like mine in person before so I cant tell if its slightly lifted or not. it sits even from front to back so not just the front is lifted it anything is.

I bought it because of such a good deal I got(didnt know the trans was going to go) and that it would be good for the winter time. I needed something as my z28 doesnt exactly go whatsoever in snow.

As far as mods I was simply thinking a brush guard and a light bar if anything. More of just fixing everything but i dont know if it would be worth the money to do it.

also I know about this being the time. when spring hits it is going to be essentially worthless so I have to move quick. Problem is I have had it on craigslist at 2500 for like the last two months and barely even a nibble(ive been reposting so its towards the top a lot) is that really just too much to ask for this truck even though it is fully loaded and has the "w" code engine.

another thing I hate is that if I drop my price and only get like 2k out of it I am afraid I am going to end up with another unreliable car. At this point I have the blazer to the point where I am not afraid to drive it anywhere.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TwitchZ28
I have never seen another blazer just like mine in person before so I cant tell if its slightly lifted or not. it sits even from front to back so not just the front is lifted it anything is.
I think that the blazers have a rake to them, so the front normally sits lower, when you load it up it sits even..... I think so if it sits even then you would be lifted in the front end

Old 01-17-2011, 05:08 PM

well what do you all think about this situation? Do I take a hit and sell cheap or just keep the thing?

Old 01-17-2011, 05:17 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

If you are in Alberta, Ill give you 500 bucks for it right now. Looks like american plates. Paint shines nice for being almost 20 years old. I like my old blazer, and I am looking for just that to drive while I heavily mod mine.

Old 01-18-2011, 12:12 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

I don't think that 2k would buy you a decent car, so perhaps your better off with what you have. If you would, post a pic of the truck at a side view. That way we would be able to see the suspension and if the front end has been raised by cranking the torsion bars. Also what size tires are on it? Tire size won't affect the ride quality, but it could help detemine if the front end was raised or not.

As for mods, brush guard with kc's is a good start, performance exhaust.