General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

so are these reliable

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:23 AM
llamaking122 is on a distinguished road
Default so are these reliable

ive heard alot of different opinions from different people. im looking at a 1998 jimmy 4x4. what should i look for? someone said muddy coolant beacayse of what gm used yadayada. im deciding between this and an explorer which is better? i drive daily to work and school and i am GREAT at keeping up matinance i just want a 4x4 suv

Old 07-17-2010, 01:33 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Man. You ask which one - a Chevy or a Ford on a Chevy forum. I think you can guess what pretty much everyone here will tell you. I'm a Chevy guy all the way. Never had much luck with Fords. Of you're worried about the coolant, hopefully it's been changed in the last 12 years.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:43 AM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Both vehicles I would say have a similar life span.

You treat them well, they will roll past 300,000. You treat them poorly and they will both cause you nothing but grief.

I preferred the look of the Blazer, and I like Chevy, so here I am.

Old 07-17-2010, 01:59 AM
llamaking122 is on a distinguished road

lol i was leaning towards the blazer cuz my dad has an exploder and i did want to get em confused ha lol. looks like ill b on here alot from now.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:14 AM
Banned
Topsecret66 is on a distinguished road

I'm VERY new to the scene.

but reason I picked and am purchasing a Blazer is for the following reasons.

- Slightly easier to work on.
- Like the interior
- Easy to modify
- More available parts the the boneyard which makes junkyard shopping fun where I am.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:33 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I own mine since new, as long as you keep up with the maintenance or the previous owner did you should not have any major problems. Good luck. Bye the way you really should not mention the F word here and a Chevrolet forum. Just kidding, at least its not foreign.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

My blazer is currently 16 years old ('94) with 278,000 miles on it in the 4 years I have owned it it has only left me rideless twice once was a blown brake line and the other a bad fuel pressure regulator both were cheap and easy fixes. Probably worth mentioning my blazer was originally purchased as a fleet vehicle for ohio edison so while I have no records it's fairly safe to assume it was well maintained prior to when I found it at auction.
In short I love the blazer and won't let it go anywhere heck my wife jokes that my blazer is the other woman and comes after the kids and before her in my list of priorities lol.
As for ford well read the GMC line in my sig that's all you need to know.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 AM
Starting Member
chiefum is on a distinguished road

My 98 ford explorer just hit 206,000 miles............with no major problems...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Starting Member
jmaynard is on a distinguished road

I've had much better luck with GMs than Fords...The GMs have been plagued with little problems, but the Fords have been utter disasters. I'm more comfortable with my Blazer than I was with the Bronco II I had just before it, even though they're about the same mileage and the Bronco was in better overall condition.

After a '92 Explorer's eating two manual transmissions, one at 65000 miles, one 4000 miles later, and Ford's refusal to honor the repair warranty, I swore I'd never own another Ford. I bought the Bronco II only because I had no choice at the time.

I'll keep the Blazer a while. Hopefully, it'll serve me until I can afford to replace it.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Neither one is really better. If I could get a 5.0 explorer for the same price as a blazer, I would take the explorer.

As far as the blazer being easier to work on, I totally disagree. Everything I do on a blazer is a bear. Just as an example...it takes literally 30 minutes to change a heater core on a ranger/gen 1 explorer. Try changing a heater core on a blazer.

Quick Reply: so are these reliable