General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

so are these reliable

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 01:34 PM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

i was looking for a nice blazer, explorer, or cherokee. i just wanted a 4x4 suv with a roof rack and a 6 cylinder in good shape. the reason i went with the blazer is i got a smokin deal on it i personally would have been happy with any of them. they all have their problems. explorers are famous for front end problems and oil leaking. hell after your first gas tank your probably leaking oil already with 400 km on the vehicle lol. 4.0's have always been leakers. cherokees are famous for transfer case problems and headgaskets, and i dont really know what blazers are bad for.

Old 07-19-2010, 04:12 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were my choice, and it has been numerous times in teh past.

Despite my wifes family is a Ford family, and both her brothers own ExploDers. I bought a Blazer every time.

As for repairability.
Chevy wins hands down. Parts are cheaper, and easier to find then Fords. They are easier to find becuase GM uses the same parts across numerous product lines. For example the 4.3L V6 engine can be found in the S10-Blazers, Astro vans, full size vans, and full size trucks. Same goes for the transmission, GM uses the 4L60E tranny on all 1/2 and lighter rear wheel drives vehicles, everything from full size picks up to Vette. In fact I can swap in a V8 engine and it will bolt up to my current tranny. Not going to happen on a Ford.

When it came time for me to buy my first truck I looked at passed racing history, went to car shows and a pattern became evident. Chevrolet wins! Not only does it win at the track, but I was amazed at the number of Ford guys at car shows who dropped in a small block Chevy motor.

Then I got into 4wheeling, and Ford nuts aren't the only ones who swap in Chevy parts, the Heep guys do it too. Turns out the 4L60E tranny and the 4.3 L V6 or Chevys V8 are the most common drivetrain swaps into off-road rigs. Toyota guys also swap in the Chevy engine/tranny.

If you want a daily driver that will be disposable, as in, you will get rid of it after the first break down, then buy what every you like. If you want a truck built to last and that CAN be rebuilt, Chevy all the way.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:34 PM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with Hanr3...I've had an 85 4runner (solid axle efi, and I miss it dearly), and Ford, and Jeep, and I'll be buried in my Blazer some day. Parts are cheap on the rare occasion that something needs fixing. The biggest ticket item I've ever had, was a new radiator, and cleaning out the motor...and that was because 100k miles before that, some idiot added the green juice to my orange coolant. I'm at 195k+ on my 96 5 speed, with the original clutch, tranny, and engine...and my A/C still works. I've pulled up larger sections of pipe fence than my 34 horse Kubota tractor could pull out. I've never been stuck...in a foot of mud, or 2 feet of snow. I got pulled over the other day for expired inspection, and all the cop could talk about was how much he liked my Blazer.

If a damn meteorite smashes it into the ground, I will search for one exactly like it.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I don't really have anything against ford they have made some pretty nice looking cars but I've always been a Chevy fan and liked most of their body designs better.
I love my blazer it has been very reliable but I just wish it had a bigger engine it is not fast enough for my taste.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:27 AM
llamaking122 is on a distinguished road

truthfully its just going to be my winter car... you dont wanna know what im getting for summer........ a SHO ive had 2 and theyre fun for a cheap car. one day ill get a corvette... fun fun fun lol

Old 07-21-2010, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by llamaking122
truthfully its just going to be my winter car... you dont wanna know what im getting for summer........ a SHO ive had 2 and theyre fun for a cheap car. one day ill get a corvette... fun fun fun lol
Which ever truck you get do yourself a favor and buy BFG All-Terrain tires. Tires WILL decide if you go or not in the snow.

As for a fun car, if I ever get another car its going to be a new Camaro.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 AM
llamaking122 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hanr3
Which ever truck you get do yourself a favor and buy BFG All-Terrain tires. Tires WILL decide if you go or not in the snow.

As for a fun car, if I ever get another car its going to be a new Camaro.
only liked the fox body camaros

Old 07-22-2010, 08:00 AM
CNYCountryKidd is on a distinguished road

erm... fox body was mustang there bub

Old 07-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by llamaking122
only liked the fox body camaros
hahahaha