General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

so are these reliable

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

I think they are reliable so long as you take care of them.... If you run your chevy without oil.... or run your chevy without oil... neither will be very reliable, you just need to keep up on maintenance...

Old 07-17-2010, 05:18 PM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by llamaking122
ive heard alot of different opinions from different people. im looking at a 1998 jimmy 4x4. what should i look for? someone said muddy coolant beacayse of what gm used yadayada. im deciding between this and an explorer which is better? i drive daily to work and school and i am GREAT at keeping up matinance i just want a 4x4 suv
im a ford mechanic, and work at a ford dealership. nothing wrong with explorers if theyve been maintained but they horrifically famous for front end problems and play in the steering. i swear every 4.0l ford right from factory uses oil, beyond that their good vehicles. as for the blazer.... well theres enough happy people here to let you know that alot of people enjoy their blazers.

Originally Posted by 91chevywt
Neither one is really better. If I could get a 5.0 explorer for the same price as a blazer, I would take the explorer.

As far as the blazer being easier to work on, I totally disagree. Everything I do on a blazer is a bear. Just as an example...it takes literally 30 minutes to change a heater core on a ranger/gen 1 explorer. Try changing a heater core on a blazer.
2.2 hours labour, done in 2 hours flat

Last edited by Project_95_Blazer; 07-17-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Starting Member
blazerboy001 is on a distinguished road

It all really comes down to how hard you drive the vehicle, how well you keep up on the maintenince, and what you prefer. I kind of like the looks of the explorers, but because of the ones I have driven, I trust my blazer WAY more.

Old 07-18-2010, 12:42 PM
llamaking122 is on a distinguished road

so i went and looked at it and it was trashed so i decided not to get it

Old 07-18-2010, 02:08 PM
ImScrewed92 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hate to hear that, but alot of people trash smaller SUVs and don't take care of them.

I have experience with both gens blazers, and the main thing people talk about is the spider fuel injectors on the later models. My 92 TBI 4.3 has never let me down since I bought it in feb. of 07. Only major fix I've had is a radiator replacement so far. Most of the parts when I got it were the worn oem from the factory! Has right around 125,000 miles on it now. And the only time it's left me stranded was twice, stuck in deep mud. But a single person pushed me out both times. Daily driving it has never left me stranded or not start.

So any more vehicle your gonna go look at?

Old 07-19-2010, 01:41 AM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

lol i was leaning towards the blazer cuz my dad has an exploder and i did want to get em confused ha lol. looks like ill b on here alot from now.
EXPLODER...lol...you took the words out of my mouth. Exploders are crap, they are floaty at speed, and unreliable. They were like the top 5 out of the top 10 vehicles turned in on that cash-for-clunkers program.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:10 AM
llamaking122 is on a distinguished road

mainly explorers. blazers and cherokees ( too lazy to spell check.) but i want 4x4 for wither here in ohio and all terrain tires after driving my dads exploder. it went through a foot of snow no problem. figured best time to buy is now

Old 07-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

For just about any make of cars you will find people that have their stories. I'm pretty sure that for just as many people that have problems with explorers, there is a equal sized group of people that has had problems with blazers. I know people who have had serious problems with blazers and chevys along with fords. I don't think it truly matters in the end in the ford vs. chevy thing. Look for something that has been taken care of, and can be had at a good price. Don't avoid a ford or chevy just because of who makes it. The biggest problem for me with ford or chevy was not the quality or design of the vehicle, but the quality of service at the dealership...mostly when it comes to warranty claims.

Cherokees are pretty good also, if you can find one in decent shape. They are another vehicle that get the snot beat out of them.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:48 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

mainly explorers. blazers and cherokees ( too lazy to spell check.) but i want 4x4 for wither here in ohio and all terrain tires after driving my dads exploder. it went through a foot of snow no problem. figured best time to buy is now
ive made it thru about 8ish here in mn ................running GSA tires some magical way

Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I own both, a 94 explorer 4.0 4x4, and a 93 blazer 4.3 4x4. The blazer is more powerful, easier to work on, easier to modify, and looks nicer, engine sounds better. My explorer crapped out and spun a ring gear, and the transmission was acting up before that. Gave it to the ex-gf if she wants to have it fixed she can. The blazer has had to be towed 2x... The explorer always limped home. The blazers front end is much easier to work on with the auto hubs. The explorers front end is a dual I-beam style with manual 4x4 and is a nightmare to take apart and zillions of peices. The blazers engine has given me some grief in the beginning, but the forums helped me out big time. The explorer is horrible on fuel. The blazer is nicer inside, but the explorer seems larger. The blazers ABS is much easier to keep working, the explorers ABS needs special stuff that the dealer only has. The blazer you can get parts everywhere and they are cheap, the explorer has parts everywhere, but mine needed parts that I could only get at the dealer (radius arm bushings and washers, intake gaskets + thermo housing) the explorer did drive nicer on the highway.

Personally, Ill take the blazer anyday, that explorer was just too expensive to run and had a massive gas tank. blazer 75L, explorer I think was 110

Quick Reply: so are these reliable