General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Starter solenoid replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 05:14 PM
Bejaran is on a distinguished road
Default Starter solenoid replacement

I’ve been searching online (on forum and off) and I can’t find any posts (threads) pictures or videos. So has anyone replaced the solenoid only? My starter is still good it just the solenoid plunger isn’t pushing the gear out to engage the flywheel. I looked on the local O’Reilly and autozone websites and they don’t sell the solenoid. I found this one that says it is a exact fit in advanced auto parts for $17 vs $100+ for whole starter. My dad wants me to pull my current starter and remove solenoid remove solenoid casing and plunger and sand/file some components down and he said it’ll fix the problem. Just curious if anyone has ever done any of this or even changed out solenoid.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:53 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

This is certainly not the starter solenoid for an 02 Blazer 4.3l starter, or I should say at least I've never seen any 3rd gen Blazer or S10 with a 4.3 have that style solenoid, and that's 5 years Advance Auto and 8 years auto salvage yard experience speaking lol... That one is a remote mounted solenoid, it basically acts like a big high current relay and it's sole purpose is to pass power to the starter motor. Many older cars and trucks used them, notoriously Ford for MANY years. The 4.3l starter has the solenoid mount onto the starter itself. On these, the solenoid is not only responsible for passing power to the starter motor, but also kicking out the gear for the starter motor to engage the flywheel and turn the engine over. I've seen them fail in both ways, either they will just making a clicking sound which is when they're kicking the gear out but not passing power to the starter motor, or they're passing power to the starter and making the starter spin over, but not kicking the gear out so the starter doesn't engage and turn the engine over.

The solenoid you're after will look like this:

As mentioned, they're mounted directly to the starter motor. You'll find a thick wire on one of the larger threaded terminals going strait to the battery, and a smaller wire plugged into it that is the signal wire to engage the starter.

It should go without saying, but disconnect the battery terminal before you go fiddling with the starter.

I have seen the trick you're father is mentioning work, multiple times. If you're on a budget, then by all means give it a shot, only thing trying that out is going to cost you is time. But you may change your mind when you fuss with getting that starter out and considering replacing the solenoid or even the complete starter so you don't have to mess with it again if the trial fix doesn't work lol.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 04-24-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:42 PM
Bejaran is on a distinguished road

Yeah I had a feeling when I saw the wings/bracket on it but I figured I’d give it a shot and I even double check at the store I told the guy hey on the website it says it’s a fit can you confirm and he did but I’m gonna return it tomorrow I got home jacked blazer up pulled tire then the rain arrived so I’ll pull starter off tomorrow hopefully weather permitting