General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

A/T tires on rear only?

Old 01-13-2019, 11:21 AM
puttster is on a distinguished road
Default A/T tires on rear only?

After some rear end slip sliding, I am looking for better grip on wet roads. Since I have a 2wd (Xtreme) I probably can stick with all-season on the front and switch to some all-terrain tires on the back, like BFG Rugged Terrain or maybe Dynapro AT-M, Wranglers, etc.
Am I right to assume that A/T will be better than A/S in rain? Am I also correct that putting A/T tires on the front will not significantly improve traction?
Finally, if they don't match will people wonder "why can't this guy afford matching tires," If they do match, they might wonder, "why is he pretending to have a 4wd off-road truck?"

Old 01-13-2019, 11:57 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I'm no expert, but I would think you would want matching tires all around. Imo, the front needs just as much grip as the rear, since it does most of the braking, as well as steering you.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:57 PM
DonL is on a distinguished road

I try and find as close to the season tire as I can. I've notice that the "all season" tires have never given me the full grip like "season" tires do. Now that I have been doing more, take off the path roads, going for more mud/road for summer, and mud/snow for winter...

edit: forgot to mention that I always make sure the 4 are the same, if possible the spare as well...

Old 01-14-2019, 08:33 AM
Administrator
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

A/T tires will provide less traction on a wet road than all-season will due to less contact points from the tread blocks.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:04 PM

Good info, I will skip the all-season and match all four. Am reading reviews to see which broad gives a good wet ride.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

I would agree with everybody else, it is probably a better idea too have 4 matching tires, especially when it comes time too rotate them...

Old 01-16-2019, 10:43 AM

I got a deal on Walmart Rugged Terrains. They look great and have circumferential grooves for shedding water. They are bigger than stock, 235/70 vs 235/60. When I cut the wheels sharp, as in backing out of the driveway into the street, they grind on the back of the wheel well. Who knew an extra .8" diameter would matter?
This might not be the right forum to ask but for those who have been following, what's the solution?

Old 01-16-2019, 11:40 AM
BF Veteran

Those tires shouldn't rub at all. Mine used to have 235/75-15 on it, and didn't rub anywhere.

Before I rebuilt the front end, and got an alignment, one side would rub on the sway bar at full lock, but the alignment fixed that

Old 01-16-2019, 01:28 PM

The Xtremes have a 2" drop vs the regular Blazer, which is probably causing the problem. I am guessing that the Xtreme's stock 235/60R16 profile tires were to avoid the contact and when I put 235/70R60's on... well, anyway, I'm still looking for some fixit ideas.

later edit: After removing the tire I saw a place in the frame where I could insert a crowbar. I Inserted a piece of wood between the bar and the point of contact and levered that to push the metal back. Then a touch up with the BFH and I am okay. P.S., On an Xtreme, the point of contact is a good 9" into the wheel well and pretty high. It is still pretty close, No way would a 235/75R16 have fit under there without some cutting.

Last edited by puttster; 01-20-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:40 PM
BF Veteran

Oh, my bad. Forgot y'all were talking about the xtremes. Carry on!