General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Tech II Code Reader

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Lots of software can access the PCM and display a bunch of things. I'm quite sure that Torque Pro at $5 will display around 50 powertrain PIDs. Yes, reading all of those PIDs in real time is still OBD2 but know that a lot of these are GM-developed specific PIDs that are not part of the OBD2 standard. Question is will your Tech2 clone do the things the aftermarket scanner and scan software cannot do on the Blazers.

One of the things no software or scanner (I know of) seems to do on Blazers is communication with the TCCM (Transfer Case Control Module) which is on all the 4WD's. As far as I know this communication is only possible if you have a 4-button (Auto 4WD) system. I had to diagnose mine last Winter and ended up typing binary code into a simple OBD2 software terminal in order to do any kind of communication with the TCCM... and all I could do then is read and clear codes. No monitoring of circuits and positions, etc. If the clone Tech2 can actually do what the factory diagnostic charts want, then it becomes a very valuable tool to many people with 4WD problems. Maybe it can communicate with 3-button TCCM for diagnostics, but I just don't know about that.

All of these Blazers have a BCM. Also I have not found any software or scanner that will do what the diagnostic charts want where diagnosing BCM related issues.

Thanks for your efforts,

Les

Old 02-29-2016, 03:14 PM
johnnylovsey is on a distinguished road
Default Tech II

Feel free to jump rite in 10-78 edac for questions like is the tech II able to communicate with the BCM and is there one in a 2003 because I don't think there is the BCM is something you find in a 2008 or newer or so don't think there is one in my Blazer.Because the tech II does communicate with the TCM in my 2003 and more lots more in current data it reads every censor the vehicle has in it.So tell me someone is there a BCM in a 2003 because I don't think that stuff came out until 2008 or newer.But to be honest don't know for sure just know the tech II was in contact with all the valves and censors in my blazer in current time.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 02-29-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:52 PM
Default Tccm

I had it wrong to start I was reading the TCM Transmission Control Module on the tech II tool but it does read the TCCM as well. Transfer Case Control Module.And Not sure what one I turned from off to on and put it in gear and it staled the engine but I think it was the TCM because I think I either engaged the torque converter or something but won't be pushing any buttons to on until I know for sure what it is doing and if it can hurt or mess up something in my car.

Old 03-01-2016, 07:05 PM
Default Tech II Scanner

I guess you now do have to admit its a real scanner not only did I get into the TCM Transmission control module and watched as I went through the gears and applied torque to the converter all on the scanner and today got into the BCM Body Control Module But it asked for a letter to identify the vehicle so I just kept choosing a different letter and it would tell me I got wrong vehicle an couldn't connect to on - star then I would pick different letter with vehicle choice but one time got 16 outputs another got 12 outputs so not sure but I think the letter there asking for is it part of the vin # because got many choices but not all that should have for my vehicle.showed rear door when it was opened it said it was also drivers door plus many other things but didn't want to change something that I would be sorry I did. It also told me when left right turn signal was on in the tech II brake light park light,s day runners had a hole list outputs inputs many other options but like I said don't think I chose the correct letter for my vehicle or it should have had outputs for like the wipers the heater, so on many other things that are run by the BCM I also looked in my manual and found that it is located behind the instrument panel in the dash.
1 Les is the letter part of the vin #
2 Do I have a real scanner yet.
3 I found that one of the five disks is the instructions so now I do know how to connect the Candi connector and test a 2008 and see how many PID,s I can get from the data display.On a 2008 to 2013.Is it pid,s the information from the different valves and modules.

Old 03-02-2016, 02:50 AM
Default Tech ii

All rite Les to me this tool is awesome have read in current time the TCM the BCM but after applying the vehicle it had a letter first and I opened a number of wrong ones for my car is that first letter in the vin # because as I opened up a few of them a couple said cant connect with onstar and another close one had my drivers door closed and showed when I opened it passenger to and it said side door and when I opened the hatch it said side door open it said e brake on off dome lights day runner park lights and a few more but still don't think it was the BCM for my blazer and like I said had a letter for each car don't think I found mine or it would have controlled the wipers the door locks and many other things so Les what is the letter before the BCM on my car.think I also got into the tccm it asked me if it was one or two speed then after answering it gave current readings. also the BCM I found is behind the dash and the gauges.Another thing it seems to be able to do a bay test for the evap system meaning when I am applying smoke to the system the scan tool can turn on the purge to let the smoke into the evap system and it can close the vent valve so the system can be smoked and I don't have to climb down there to plug the vent during smoking.One more thing the instructions I didn't think I got with the tool say how to hook up the Candi module to test 2008 up to 2013 now if that works is it still obdII or is it a real scanner.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 03-02-2016 at 02:53 AM.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:42 AM

1. No idea - never used a tech2
2. It seems so but don't know yet about bidirectional functionality based on what you have reported. Again, will it lock the front axle - and can you see that it is locked?
3. Yes, PIDs are requests sent for the computer to send back specific information.

Extended GM functionality with the Tech2 is part of OBD2. CAN is also OBD2, just a different communication protocol.

Transmission functions are handled through the PCM. You probably locked up the torque converter clutch when the engine stalled. So you may have shown some bidirectional functionality with the PCM. I was interested in bidirectional functionality with the TCCM (which is a separate module) by commanding the front axle to lock. To me this would be a better test of full bidirectional functionality with a module other than the PCM.

If you are reading door open/close then you are reading the BCM.

I'm glad that you like what you have bought. I guess right now you need to learn how to use it, and unfortunately that I cannot help you with.

If you can ever command the front axle to lock and see that it is locked on the scanner, let me know and I will buy one myself to play with. I would probably buy one more scan tool, but only if I am firmly convinced it is going to do more for me than my HP Tuners software which can do bidirectional controls, but has it's limits. I can already do injector balance test, crank sensor relearn, and control the transmission solenoids and torque converter + a bunch of other stuff I have not yet investigated in the ABS and airbag areas. But I do realize HP Tuners is still incomplete in comparison to a bonafide tech2. If I can fill in all the rest of the functionality (like TCCM diagnosis and control, etc) on multiple GM vehicles, then a clone Tech2 would definitely be worth my buying. Then I would have Torque Pro, Car Gauge Pro, Car Diagnostic Pro, Scan XL Pro, HP Tuners, and a Clone Tech2. The Scan XL Pro and HP Tuners would become obsolete. The Android apps on my phone that use the bluetooth OBD2 adapter will always be useful in my opinon.

Guess I need to look at the link that 10-78 posted where the Saab guys looked at the clone Tech 2. Wow - over 100 pages and 3 years of talking about GM software cracks and confusion which card to use. Seems to generally work, but also seems you need to know what you are doing with software install and which cards you have!! - at least for Saab's

Last edited by LesMyer; 03-02-2016 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:27 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

The letter you are looking for is the platform letter of your truck. You have the service manuals and the Internet, so I am not going to tell you just to have you argue with me. I have given you enough information to figure it out...

Old 03-02-2016, 02:57 PM
Default Tech II

Les was hoping to get a answer from you found the BCM but it gives you choices from many vehicles it starts with a letter was hoping that might be one in the vin # if you know this will you tell me or I will just keep trying by trial and error have tried about ten so far and a couple showed 12-16 items in my vehicle in current time and others said sorry can't connect to on star so that's not my car,s BCM so many choices but will get there .Think like you said the correct one should read things like the wipers,heater control,radio door access and locks and all other items operated from the cab.

Old 03-02-2016, 03:20 PM

If they are looking for platform letter as CWBDDSPC suggests then that is pretty simple.

2WD = S
4WD = T

I believe it is #5 in the VIN# and this also should be in the name of your factory manuals.

Old 03-03-2016, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by CWBDDSPC
The letter you are looking for is the platform letter of your truck. You have the service manuals and the Internet, so I am not going to tell you just to have you argue with me. I have given you enough information to figure it out...
And for that I thank you these Manuel's are so great I am looking at the Tccm self test rite now.To prove to you that the techII scanner the clone that is does or doesn't read the Tccm will let you all know the answer tomorrow and on the BCM I was looking at it because the scanner defiantly dose read that in current time but just not sure yet what one is in reference to my Blazer but will figure that out tomorrow as well P/S sorry for writing on your post.And yet again thank you Les you didn't have to do that I would have found it eventually but thank you very much your rite as usual the 5th letter in my vin is T And I got control of some things under L & M but not full access to everything it controlled things like interior lights lock and unlock doors door ajar park lights horn chime setting and some others not sure but it wouldn't control headlights might have been on incorrect BCM for my car we will now see.So next after feeding my Diabetes I will attempt the TCCM Transfer case control module.Now if I do get access and command it to lock up that is just commanding it to go from 4 low to 4 high rite its not actually locking up my axle is it.Like I did unintentionally with my torque converter.

Last edited by johnnylovsey; 03-03-2016 at 03:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Tech II Code Reader