General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Those mechanical twist lock cables

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:42 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road
Default Those mechanical twist lock cables

I had a thought rattling around in my head and looking for feedback. Those twist lock cables some people have used to change the 4wd engagement to mechanical, how much throw (play) in inches do they have? Looking for a way to hold the brake pedal in firm when I launch my boat at dock.

The e-brake on my blazer is totally messed up and not worth repair if I wanted because locking the rear tires when they are on the poorest traction (waters edge) does very little good. Really want all 4 brakes to set temporarily while I launch or load my boat on trailer and I’m normally solo doing this. Simple thought was just a rod from steering wheel to brake pedal and use tilt to give it some adjustment but rather a pain to get in out when that’s in middle of legroom. (I’m 6’6” tall)

This lead me to those locking cables. If I was to secure it at firewall, link to pedal and put handle trigger say at the old ebrake spot theoretically would that have enough movement to hold brake firm? Too address the thought of when released and not interfere with pedal I was going to go with say 100# stainless steel braided picture wire cable which would allow free movement attached at pedal rod above pedal and other end to the locking cable based on locking cable travel amount. Plan was to press pedal firm with foot, pull locking cable to hold in place, do my thing with boat, hope back in, press pedal and release locking cable.

I know they make fancy electrical ones for brake hold for racing but cost not practical and those are usually for 1 axle. That drum brake as is combined with normal traction at waters edge makes it impractical. I just want to take pressure off the parking pawl inside transmission when on the ramp grade doing the unload/load of the boat. So yea, just thinking if this idea practical. I know I can do the simple dowel rod from steering wheel to pedal but rather not deal with getting in/out of truck with that in way if I can. Thoughts? Ideas? Let me know.

Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I bought a cheap locking cable for the front axle, it can have however much travel you want. The cable is like 9' when you buy it, and you cut to fit.

So, theoretically, you could cut and secure the outer cable a foot from the "control" end, and have 8' of travel lol.
​​​​​​
Of course, you might want something a little stronger to hold your brakes than the parts store cheapy I bought.

Old 03-15-2019, 02:06 PM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

I whipped this up with a old wooden broom handle for now. No thing more than a “v” notch in top to keep on steering wheel and a barn screw in bottom to grab rubber on pedal so wont slip off. 26” and it does keep solid pressure on pedal, figure if need could adjust with tilt but like I said eats leg room.

Tilt wheel aids in tension

Leg room? Yea it works but not lovin’ it.