General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Time to move on - but big dilema

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 01:55 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road
Default Time to move on - but big dilema

It's time guy's.

I've now had my Blazer for 4 1/2 years and loved it. No reason to sell other than for the fact that it's now 13 years old Annnnnnnd, with less & less Blazers on the road here, parts supply will soon become an issue (RHD parts that is). Already, as a trade, the truck has little value. Dealer offered me $4k this morning! Not a lot considering I'm needing to spend upward of $12k for a basic used Jap import (2002 model) - I actually want an X type Jag or C280 Merc. If I look for a 4wd of SUV i'm looking to pay a lot more.

I have found a flash looking Merc (2006) but they want $26k for it! Same for the Jag.

(The X type Jag is actually a Ford Mondeo in disguise!) Both are - again - Jap imports!

Looks like I'm heading for a 2002/3 model as $26k is a bit rich for me at the moment.

Old 07-08-2012, 05:22 AM
Starting Member
50percentgenius is on a distinguished road

I love my 2003. Runs very clean and gets great mileage compared to others. But I have a question. How much different would it be for you to find parts for say a 2002/2003 RHD Blazer versus your 99 RHD Blazer?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:31 AM
BF Veteran

As I said, there were only 2 thousand odd blazers model ranges between 1998 & 2002. The bulk were '99 to 2001. These were spread throughout both Islands. Other than the LT / LS versions these are mostly interchangeable - I believe there are a few versions of engine and/or electrics but not sure what they are I know when I replaced my transmission I couldn't fit one in from a 2001 - The cross bar holding it in on a '99 iswelded whereas the 2001 is bolted to the frame & then the electrics were different too. Engines are anyway, the least of the issues as they are repairable & parts available ex the US - at a cost. Again this will become prohibitive to most.
I would guess most are still running quite happily so until one is wrecked or sold off as scrap, there is little chance of getting parts. A lot of people are holding on to their trucks knowing this as they can't afford to replace it. Also, they're difficult to sell anyway because of the bad gas milage so hangin on for a few more years they can get more for their truck as scrap than selling it. LOL
Things that will become difficult to get locally or even as imports will be suspension including steering box (had mine replaced a while back), heater inlcuding controls (different again to US models), dash components etc. mostly small stuff. The Chevy guy's were planning at one time to either refurbish steering linkages etc or making new castings - this they do for full size truck conversions - again at a cost.
I could hang on to mine, and may yet do that. Only problem is where to keep it. Then I still need to pay for insurance registration & still need to get it through WOF every 6 months!
So, in a long winded way, that explains it all. Iv guess the less trucks available, the less people will want it. The die hard Chevy fans don't want the Blazer unless it's a full size.

Oh yea- As the fender flares get broke in minor accident, these guys are going to have to accept their trucks looking like US trucks. LOL

Last edited by kiwiblazer; 07-09-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 AM
Starting Member
50percentgenius is on a distinguished road

That would make a very hard decision for me if I was in your situation. I used to own a Honda but ever since I saw a friend's Blazer I really wanted one, but having no idea of any kind of obstacles I would have to work through.
I'm very lucky I have no kind of vehicle inspection I have to pass in Oklahoma, otherwise my previous vehicle would never have passed, as something was continually broken, or my Blazer with some random exhaust problem or engine sensor popping up as broken.

I've never heard of any kind of transmission crossmember being welded in either, and I've readed a lot of SFA stuff where guys mount new crossmembers but I may have just missed it. It's just hard to believe that you practically don't have a similar blazer at all to guys on the forum in a sense that half your parts don't match up at all.
That's my long winded response I guess. And die hard Chevy fans should want a mid size Blazer too. They're pretty great

Old 07-21-2012, 09:14 PM
BF Veteran

Well, I've spent a lot of time checking out new (to me) cars.
There's not a lot in my my price range / wish list.
Im looking at spending around $15k and whilst there is a big selection (mostly 2001 - 2003 jap cars. Less for european cars). There's not a lot that appeals to me. Maybe I'm just fussy but . . . . I've been spoilt with my Blazer - keep comparing what I see with what I've got. I've been offered $4-5k for my truck & I know that on Trade me I'll get at least $8k, so I'll hang in there.
After looking around, I still feel happy with my truck so unless I find some thing that really gets my fancy, I'm not for sale! I'll risk the parts issue for a while still. Family think I'm crazy.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

fussy but . . . . I've been spoilt with my Blazer - keep comparing what I see with what I've got.
You know what has gone into it, you know the value of that & to get back what you've put into it. I'd just try to get another vehicle.
That doesn't cover the sweat & labor, love & time researching things.
Personally I know I'd hate to see MY blazer on the street driven by someone else. I'd have to pull them over & ask how he's running, how's this n that lol.
I'd pet my blazer & maybe even verbally ask it " how ya doing buddy?" "I miss you!" & instantly have the 'what if' thoughts... what if I took more time, research etc & kept him in my family (Sarah & I).
She'd be pissed if I sold CB on her! She named him after all.
Happy wife is a happy life right!?

Last edited by Rottidog; 07-21-2012 at 11:36 PM.