General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Time to sell the Blazer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Starting Member
vortec bowtie is on a distinguished road
Default Time to sell the Blazer?

Well Ive discovered an oil leak on the blazer so I brought it into my auto class today. Ive noticed my oil pan gasket has a pretty severe leak. I need to add a quart about every other week. Also I noticed my trans is leaking by the driveshaft. I kno the trans seal isnt a big deal at all. But, i know the oil pan gasket is pretty major and involves at least hoisting up the motor. I would not feel confident at all doing this myself, nor would i want my autoshop teacher to do this because hes already messed up a few other things on my truck that i eneded up having to get replaced again. Also my shocks are really rusted at the bottoms and are about to start leaking, and my front 2 wheel bearings are on there way out. So in total I need, oil pan gasket, trans seal, 4 shocks, and at least 2 wheel bearings. Is it even worth fixing in your opinion? I already have so much cash into this blazer and i know after this it willl just be something else. Fix or sell?

Old 01-31-2012, 02:42 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

How time flies!
April 24, 2011:
Originally Posted by vortec bowtie
Just bought an 02 blazer w/ only 44k miles and I have a few questions... First off, I noticed it has a bad intake gasket. Im guessing this is b/c of the orange dexcool coolant. My question is, can I drain out that coolant and run regular green coolant? I want to change it cuz I dont want all my gaskets getting eaten up.. Also, can I drive it with that bad gasket for a little bit? Im gonna replace it within the next few weeks, but I wanna drive the blazer up north next weekend. It runs just under 210 degrees and doesnt overheat or smoke, but after you run it, you can deffinantly smell coolant.. Im also gonna flush the radiator, and change trans fluid, and convert everything over to synthetic.. Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks
44,000 miles my ***! Or else that blazer had a hard life the equal of any other on here.

Yep... If I were you, I'd sell it. Age deteriorates parts too but that is ridiculous.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Starting Member

Yea my uncle keeps telling me that the guy before me rolled the miles back. Its so clean tho which made me think the miles were accurate, and the guy only lived 2 miles from his work.I was thinking just the age of it is causing all these problems. Or the fact that it sat for awhile without getting driven, because 2 years ago he bought a new car and was saving the blazer for her daughter, so he kept it parked in the garage without getting driven, but then he said his daughter didnt want it. Maybe it really only has 50k, maybe it has 150k. who knows. I just cant justify putting another grand into it. I bought it for 6900 because of the condition and low mileage, put over 2 grand in maintenance/repairs, theres no way i can dump another grand in her, and if i did, then i would have to keep it forever. I know im gonna lose alot of money and wont be able to sell it for near what i have into it, but i guess its better then having to continue to dump endless amounts of money on it. As soon as i get everything fixed and up to date on maintenance, something else goes wrong. I dont even know what to buy if i sell this. I honestly love driving it and its perfect for what i need it for. I dont want a truck cause there all beat up and have miles, yet i cant get a car cause i need to tow my sled and jetski. I dont want to sell it till summer anyway cause ill be able to get more for it. So i guess as soon as spring comes around ill put it up on craigslist and see what happens. Maybe ill look into an explorer

Old 01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Ouch. Even at 160k, my '02 barely drips out of the oil pan gasket.

I've thought about cleaning the outside really good and running a line of high temp silicone sealant around the outside. Not like it's under a lot of pressure or anything ... But I'm not sure if that would do any good or not

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you have an 02 you have an electronic odometer and the miles are stored in the PCM. I would dare to venture the miles are accurate. Sounds like it was neglected.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:08 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

I ask out of ignorance - would swapping the instrument panel (or the PCM, I guess. I don't know where it's located) with one from a junkyard display the mileage of the junked Blazer?

It certainly worked that way with the mechanical type I knew. Very rarely would anyone fess up to changing the speedo so it'd look like it had fewer miles, but it happened.

(No, I have no intention of doing this. I just got the darn thing, I'm not going to sell it anytime soon)

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Starting Member

Yea, I kinda assume the miles are accurate, because the prev owner has reciepts for everything and oil change records with the mileage recorded. Everything he replaced he did so with AC Delco parts. It looks like it was very well maintained and garage kept. I guess i just got a defective blazer lol. I was thinking the same thing about the sealant. Even RTV gasket maker or something, and try to get it in the crack. My autoshop teacher said that wouldnt help at all and that would just be putting a bandaid on it. Does anyone have any insight on if this would work? I really dont want to keep having to put a quart of oil into every other week. If some kind of silicone or gasket maker would help then I would just do that. The trans seal I will replace sometime next week. You Just have to take the driveshaft off right?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:46 PM
blazerls1999 is on a distinguished road

Well I have a 1999 and had to change the cluster a few years back. The miles are actually stored in the cluster. So it's easy to roll it back.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM
Starting Member

I dont kno what to do at this point. If i sell it and get something else, the next car could be problem after problem too. If I decide to get it fixed, I want to get everything fixed and make it perfect. Lately its been running really sluggish it seems and hesitates at wen the throttle is applied at like 1500 rpms. No codes are being thrown or anything. When it gets nice out Im gonna do my plugs and wires, if i keep it.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Yeah...my gauges are off by 55k...had to swap in cluster after mine went wacky.
250 for reprogram or 45 for swap...hmmmmm
Something dont sound right...i have 230k ish and your ride sounds way worse.
If your in auto shop most of that sounds like you should have tools around and a lift??
Worth fixing is up to you...like any investment you need to weigh your goals against the risk.
For me if/when engine goes i am getting another and dropping it in...i dont forsee selling my ride though. I like no payments and i love having my ride.

Quick Reply: Time to sell the Blazer?