General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:15 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oktain
If you're going around a corner and the back end starts swinging around... DO NOT over correct, just keep the wheels pointed in the direction you want to go (you're still correcting, just not putting your *** in the ditch when the truck catches traction). AND take your foot off the gas, it should grip up and come back straight.

yeah good advice. if you ever want to see what happens if you try to over correct take a look at the accident pictures thread. that alero in there, thats mine, she hit a tree after i spun the back around on an icey road.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 PM
JRob238 is on a distinguished road

Some people have said you do not need a 4wd truck where it snows only once every 3-4 years. I disagree. I live pretty close to the OP locations about 4 hours maybe. I am getting the same snow storm he is. It isnt much about 2 inches here some places have got up to 4 but I think there should be at least 1 4wd car in every house hold. Sure we dont get snow every year but we do get freezing rain that leaves the roads icy. A 4wd can get you out of alot of sticky situations.

One example: It was pouring down rain one day and I was driving my wifes 2wd Sport trac. I hydroplaned and ended up on the side of the road and since it was raining the side of the road was very muddy. Of course my lovely sport trac was stuck. At the time I still had my Cherokee so I call the wife she is there within 5 minutes and we pulled the truck out. 15 minutes and I was back on my way. If I would had to call a tow truck it would have cost me at least 50 bucks just to pull me out.

Now I know this situation wont happen to everyone but you never know when something of the sort may happen. A friend may be stuck, roads could be flooded causing you to have less traction, the once every 3 year snow storm hits, I could go on but I think everyone gets the point.

Also when you get right down to it the mpg difference between a 2wd blazer and a 4wd blazer isnt a big enough difference to even matter. My 4wd blazer gets about 18 to 19 city. Better than most 2wds I know. My wifes sport trac gets 16.

I think everyone driving a truck or suv should spend the extra cash to have the 4wd just in case. but thats just MY opinion.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:10 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

4wd on ice just means 4 tires spinned instead of 2 if he doesn't know what to do. you could be a unicyclist on ice and not have a problem, or you take a 6 wheeled gator and spin it into a tree on the same ice. speed will ALWAYS catch you on ice. even if it doesn't look icey, black (glare?) ice can sneak up on you. x2 on a strap and a bag of litter (better safe than sorry). Keep a blanket in the car too

take your time and you'll be fine.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by packofqtips
this is my 2wd all winter long

you park your s**t outside!?! that's not very nice.............

Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 AM
packofqtips is an unknown quantity at this point

no garage and im not gonna pay to store it indoors
its fine no road salt gets near it

Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 AM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JRob238
just take it easy. lowering the pressure will give you a little better traction but ice is nasty really dont matter what you do you will still slide if you dont have 4x4
That's not true, you can slide with 4x4 just as easy. Going down my driveway, which is a ice rink on weekends *sarcasm* , is just as bad 2wd or 4wd. But it's really nice to have 4wd in the winter in Wisconsin

Old 01-31-2010, 03:12 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by packofqtips
no garage and im not gonna pay to store it indoors
its fine no road salt gets near it
yeah, i guess as long as you don't drop salt in your DW, it's fine.

but i paid for indoor Winter storage for my 'Burb until i had a garage big enough to put it & my Dart into.

guess the next project for the Blazer should be a garage build.

i'm definately gonna be building a nice 50 by 30 garage next time (need room to work).

don't you @ least have a set of crappy rims for the Winter to put on?

Old 01-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

4 wheel drive will only help you get going, it doesn't matter what you have when trying to stop. Like everyone else said, take it easy and be careful going into intersections.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:44 PM
JRob238 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by The_Beast
That's not true, you can slide with 4x4 just as easy. Going down my driveway, which is a ice rink on weekends *sarcasm* , is just as bad 2wd or 4wd. But it's really nice to have 4wd in the winter in Wisconsin
I disagree slightly. You have more tractrion with 4wd it will not slide just as easy a 2wd.

Originally Posted by Mczuk
4 wheel drive will only help you get going, it doesn't matter what you have when trying to stop. Like everyone else said, take it easy and be careful going into intersections.
I agree 4wd will help you get going but it does help you stop. On a nice dry day take you blazer to a parking lot and get it up to about 15 mph in 2wd and just let off the gas an mentally note how it coasts and how it slows down. Now shift into 4hi at 15 mph let off the gas. You gonna see that the motor will actually slow you down because the 4x4. Now shift into 4lo and at 15 mph let off the gas you are going to see a huge difference.

You have to know to use your 4x4 to appreiciate it for what its worth. Sure alot of people know how to engage it but do you really know whats going on in your transfercase?

I been an off road junkie for a long time now and have wheeled every ohv park from Tellico to Moab. I guess it just takes getting out and playing with something to fully understand it.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:40 PM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

I was mainly talking about braking, too many people think they are invincible because they drive a 4 wheel drive. I've driven a 2 wheel drive place 4x4's got stuck and I've been stuck in 4 wheel and had a 2 wheel drive go through the same hole and not have any problems. I think if you think ahead and take it easy there shouldn't be a problems.

Quick Reply: tips for driving 2wd Blazer in snow and ice