General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 07:26 PM
Starting Member
rikki is on a distinguished road
Default towing

Hi. I've got a 2000 blazer 2dr rwd. I bought a 24 ft 1975 prowler camper. I towed it from Montgomery, Alabama to palatka, fl. I could only go 40 mph to ptevent swaying. What do I need to do to be able to pull it? I'm New to this. Help please. I'd like to travel.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:35 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

First thing you need to do is find out the weight of the trailer. I'm fairly certain it weighs much more than what your Blazer is rated for. Providing the weight is within limits look into a weight distributing hitch with the sway control arm.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 AM
BirchyBoy is on a distinguished road

It looks like the trailer probably weighs around 3,600lbs empty (NADA) but it doesn't say what the tongue weight is. You're a braver man than me! I pulled our new 27' TT with a 1999 Yukon 4wd and the sway, even with a good WDH hitch with sway control, was still fun at times.

Like AJBert said, a GOOD WDH hitch with sway control is going to be a necessity. Don't overload the trailer with stuff, either, as the weight will become too much. Go to a CAT scale and get 3 weights to makes sure you're OK. There are calculators online that you put in all of the various weights and limits and it says if you're OK or no.

Old 08-03-2015, 04:25 PM
Starting Member
rikki is on a distinguished road
Default towing

I was told that if I got a sway bar, air shocks and brake controller I would have no problems towing it. Is that true and if so how far?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:45 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Go to a reputable shop and don't listen to your buddies.

I just assumed you had a brake controller. That should have been the first thing you got before even thinking about hooking up to the trailer.

Air shocks are not what you need when towing. Air bags would be much better.

The only way you can get a sway bar is as part of a WD hitch.

One other thing you should get is an aux tranny cooler.

And find out what the weight of the trailer is by putting it on a scale. Trailers made back in the '70s were built pretty solid with steel. Light weight trailers have been around maybe 15 years or so.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i pulled a similar size camper in my 1990 fullsize pick up truck, and it was sketchy with that truck. i have the air bag helpers on the back, that really doesnt do jack squat for sway, it prevented my springs from fully compressing when hitting a dip in the road made for a less bouncy ride.

they do sell those weight distributing hitches but never really used one

Old 08-05-2015, 01:22 AM
EdC
Beginning Member
EdC is on a distinguished road

Might also want to check the condition of the suspension on the trailer. I had an 82 Fd P/U bed that started fishtailing and when I checked the shocks they were original ones. (30 yrs old) After that I could do 75 with it loaded or empty.