General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Upgrade bulbs in cheap driving lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Upgrade bulbs in cheap driving lights?

Can I do it or will it have bad consequences(melting/fire)? I have a set of cheap driving lights from autozone. Called BAJA series, i'm sure you've all seen them. They're not as bright as i'd like but i'd also not like to spend over a $100 to get a good pair. So I was wondering if I could simply upgrade the 55W bulb to a 100W or so bulb. I've read elsewhere that on cheap lights an upgrade like that could melt them. but I've found no instances of that actually happening. So if the great forum has any input on this please let me know! Because if i could simply buy $20 worth of bulbs and have driving lights that do more than light the road a few feet in front of me that would be great. As it is, my driving lights only light up literally the road below my high beams and the general area around the front of my truck( they spread light more than aim it).
So, can i simply replace the bulbs? and these are Driving lights...NOT fogs!

Old 09-07-2009, 07:17 PM

anybody?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member
Codi is on a distinguished road

Some plastic is only meant to withstand a certain amount of heat before it starts to melt or warp. Depending on how strong/sturdy it's made, depends on what it can withstand. I would check the box on the lights, or find some info. It should have some info.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

You could get some Silvania Silverstar 55w bulbs. The light output should be a little whiter and brighter than the stockers and i don't think you should have any issues, but don't quote me on that. Or just buy some better driving lights.

Old 09-08-2009, 04:22 PM

The packaging says only replace with bulbs not exceeding 55W(H3 type bulbs if that helps). Will the silvania silverstars make the light go out a bit further? Or is that the same as increasing brightness? Do they maybe make bulbs that run at lower temps but at higher brightnesses?