Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Great Upgrade for cheap!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 AM
sky96744 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Great Upgrade for cheap!

Ive readthat the factory tow hooks are not that strong... So I went to the junk yard, Found a coupleChevy 1500 Pickup's and removed the tow hooks.

-They will fit in the original placement holes for the front (Just need to be drilled to fit the bigger bolts).
Also the plastic needs to be trimmed to fit the wider hooks.

-For the rear you need to drill both holes. I removed the factory pin holding the rear brace and replaced with the tow hook. Then just drilled the second.

(Note the rear will probably not fit like this with out a body lift...)

Front should fit no problem with or without BL

Total investment $21.80 for the hooks.
Total time about an hour.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:07 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Great Upgrade for cheap!

Good Mod, but the front tow hooks look pretty much the same as the ones that came on my blazer stock, so I dont know if the front tow hooks are weak or not on the blazer but they have worked for me pulling out bigger trucks and being pulled out by bigger trucks. As for the rear unless you have a trailer hitch you really don't have anywhere that is safe to pull from, so this would be a good mod for none trailer hitch folks, or if you dont want to use the trailer hitch. All you need is a hitch pin or a clevice mounted on a hitch reciever for a good towpoint on the rear. Thanks for the info and pics.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:38 AM
dirtyzr2 is an unknown quantity at this point

the stock hooks are pretty strong they can hold there own ive only seen one hook brake and it was my brothers 01 jimmy he was pulling out a old bronco that had a 6in lift and some super swampers laying on his frame in a mud hole. he ended up bending the hook damn near straight but got the guy out with the second hook and ended up loseing reverse. about a week later he bent the hook straight and ended up snaping it pulling out a little 2wheel drive wrangler. basically the hooks are strong enough for the our trucks they break cause your pullin somthing a little to heavy or you dont no how to pull. blazers/jimmys dont have a very strong reverse so if your planning on pulling people out get a rear hitch there alot stronger then a hook. but hey still a good cheap mod if you dont have to much cash

Old 08-03-2007, 11:16 AM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen countless stock towhooks break. In my opinoin, they're not strong at all and i wouldn't pull much with them for fear of hurting somebody.

That's why i have receiver tubes/shackles and a winch on the front of my truck.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, ive been pulled, and have pulled with my hooks with no problem.....

Old 08-03-2007, 02:05 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

heres my rear tow hook... works well and it has 2 hitch pin holes so it is adjustable...... and sorry its covered in mud... im too lazy to wash it right now...lol

AND OMG!!!!! yes that is an unblurred kentucky plate.... oh.... i hope noone comes and finds me...lmao

Old 08-03-2007, 02:22 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Yeah I was thinking something like that or the same thing but with a shackle instead of a hook. I haven't bent mine or seen any break but I know it is always possible, which is why I did research and know the safer ways of pulling people out.

How hard to install and how much did that cost?

Old 08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

jiggs setup is effin awesome..... prolly didnt cost alot because he probably fabbed alot of it... i dunno....

Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Jigg is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: lennyblazer

Yeah I was thinking something like that or the same thing but with a shackle instead of a hook. I haven't bent mine or seen any break but I know it is always possible, which is why I did research and know the safer ways of pulling people out.

How hard to install and how much did that cost?
The winch install was completely custom and somewhat difficult. I have easily over $500 and 40 hours worth of work into it (I was also doing it a certain way so I could produce them later on down the line, which definitely added to the time and cost).

For the tubes, the install is very easy. They run $125 for the tubes and all hardware, and approx $70 for both shackles (you really only need one, but it's handy to have both).

Old 08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

You've got the same hitch I do Aaron... NEway, Towhooks are useless to me, but I have to put some on the Jeep at some point so I'll probably get some Chevy 1500 or 2500 hooks from LKQ and bolt the to the frame like sky did.

Quick Reply: Great Upgrade for cheap!