General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

Well guys, .... blazers dead.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 12:24 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Id suggest getting a junkyard long block, doing upper gaskets and throwing it in. Im a firm believer of not cracking open a motor if you dont have to, hence why I said upper gaskets. Running that engine after you blew it was the worst thing to do. Now every mechanical part will need replaced. Not to mention the block is probably pretty messed up inside. No oil = no oil pressure which = extreme heat. Im sure everything is warped.

It sucks, but it happens. I blew the 2.5L up in my SVT 2 weeks after buying it. It only had 130k on it.

Old 04-30-2011, 05:35 PM
matt92 is on a distinguished road

well, i kinda want to do a rebuild. just because itd be good experience, and it'd practically be a new motor.

Old 04-30-2011, 06:42 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

Maybe search craigslist for a Blazer with a bad trans or that's wrecked and pull that? Or a stand alone engine and rebuild that?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:04 PM
01vortec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matt92
well, i kinda want to do a rebuild. just because itd be good experience, and it'd practically be a new motor.
you're not understanding me. if the rod let go more than likely it ruined the inside of the block. you will not be able to reuse this. nor the crank, heads, nothing. You ran it with no oil pressure. the engine is a paper weight, rebuilding it will require all new parts. unless you want to spend 3 times what it'd cost to buy a junkyard motor, the least expensive option is to get a junkyard motor.

Last edited by 01vortec; 04-30-2011 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:32 PM

Alright im hearing ya. So but a junkyard motor, or used one on craigs, and go from there?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Starting Member
Zanders is on a distinguished road

by boring it, should i do it because the block may be damaged? or for more horsepower?
I said so for more HP but as vortec said, there would probably to too much damage to correct by doing it if you tried so. If you do purchase a new motor, over bore that baby for the HP, beef up some internals and now we're talking business.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:43 PM

well, found a fully machined 4.3 on ebay for like 600. or im finding blocks like 200 shipped. Not sure what route im going to take yet. Firssstttt gotta save a few paychecks.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM

and, do you know how much .030 over will yield in HP? what about .060?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:55 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

Alright im hearing ya. So but a junkyard motor, or used one on craigs, and go from there?
That sounds like it would be your best bet. You could probably find a running one for a few hundred bucks, and if you have the time and know how to replace the engine you could have it back on the road for really cheap. Or you could mod it on the cheap and gain the experience of rebuilding an engine (and some extra ponies) if you have another mode of transportation and some spare cash and space. That's my thinking anyway

Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 PM

well, heres my idea.... school gets out in a couple weeks, and theres no way in hell its going to be on the road before its out. So i just have to ride a bike to school for a few weeks. As for work, i live less than a mile away, and is like a 8 minute walk. So really, i have from now, until about august to rebuild/ purchase an engine. I'd rather do a rebuild, since the motor will need to be pulled, annndddd so that ill have a 0 mile engine that will last a good while.

Quick Reply: Well guys, .... blazers dead.