General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What is the best floor jack to carry in a Blzr/Jimmy 2nd gen..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 07:29 PM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road
Default What is the best floor jack to carry in a Blzr/Jimmy 2nd gen..?

I see Harbor Frt. Tool is advertising a 3 Ton DAYTONA floor jack with the following description---Low profile and Long Reach at 21 inch lift. It is $229.99 and comes in various colors. I am looking for a HD jack with a Long reach aka high lift after a flat tire event in town on the way to an appointment. My cheap Sears jack didn't have the long reach to get the tire off the back of the Blazer. I am not looking for Low profile as I am wanting the 'High lift and LONG REACH'. Luckily a School Resource Officer happened to see me struggling and came over to help me with her Police car jack. Thank You , Officer Jill !!

Any recommendations on a SUV sized jack. My 2003 2 door has No lift--- stock height. Thanks, Jim in SC

Old 01-21-2022, 09:13 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Not sure on recommending a specific brand/model, but if you're wanting to carry it in your Blazer, you probably want to find an aluminium one for weight savings.

Old 01-21-2022, 09:28 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

You can probably do better on the price too. HF isn't very good quality either from my experience.

Old 01-21-2022, 03:42 PM

I have an older HFT orange floor jack and it is heavy. Too heavy. Built like a battleship with quarter inch steel. I liked to carry my inexpensive Sears lite weight jack for emergencies. Problem is it doesn't have the reach to raise the tire far enough above the ground to remove the tire. I have to carry 2 X 6 and 2 X 8 wood to gain the additional height. not safe. HFT says it is almost two feet lift. It is actually 21 inch lift . So 3 inches short of two feet. I think I am seeing HFT increase their quality as they increase their prices. Take a look at their new product line.

Old 01-21-2022, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I carry a bottle jack in mine to keep weight down a little. If I were going to carry a floor jack, though, it would definitely be an aluminum one.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:29 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I second the bottle jack. Floor jacks are no fun, regardless of how light or amount of lift, on uneven/muddy/snow covered ground. A 6 ton bottle jack is light, easily maneuverable and usually has enough lift. Mine doesn't but I have some 2X12 stacked with the top one cut out in the center to fit the jack bottom, plus I welded up a 3/8 inch plate with a heavy duty pipe about 3" long to fit over the top of the jack to give more of a foot on the frame.

Works like a charm regardless of what surface I have to jack the Blazer up on. Have the same set up on a 12 ton bottle jack for my 3/4 ton truck.

Old 01-23-2022, 01:30 PM

This is an all steel Daytona with High reach and low profile. I am more interested in the 1./ High reach necessary in a 4WD Blazer than the 2./ Low profile ? not an issue and I don't need it.
I always carry an assortment of 2 X 6 and 2 X 8's to support the floor jack on muddy surfaces and uneven ground to keep it from sinking into the soggy ground..... The other burning concern is the weight of this Daytona jack is 103 lbs. and that is a hefty amount to lift over the rear transom. I am sure they have a light weight Aluminum floor jack , but then the QUESTION is how 1./ how Long reach is it and 2./ How strong and rugged will a mostly aluminum jack be ?

Old 01-23-2022, 09:28 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I have used this jack around the garage for years. Great for Blazer, Malibu, Rav4, SLK320, Harley, etc. Its light and easy to get around. Its totally inadequate for my GMC Sierra 1500 however, just not strong enough. I also don't think it has the lift you are looking for.

Amazon Amazon

George

Old 01-30-2022, 11:39 PM

George , with the 14 inch lift, will your jack lift a stock Blazer up high enough to remove a tire ? That is my primary purpose is to carry it in the back of the Blzr in case of a flat tire event. My very old, very inexpensive Sears model floor jack has no lift to get the old tire off and the new tire on. I also prefer the floor jack type over the bottle jack for stability mainly. I carry an assortment of 2" X 8" wood to over compensate.

Old 01-31-2022, 12:15 AM

And the finalist are: Both in the HFT corner,

1./ The HFT Pittsburg 1.5 Ton Aluminum Rapid Pump Racing floor jack. Weighs only 33 lbs. and lifts 13 7/8 inches high. Dual pump. 3 1/2 pumps to lift
Price= $89.99 ... Price good until Feb.10
https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ack-64545.html

2./ The HFT Daytona 3 Ton steel long reach, high lift, rapid pump floor jack....Lifts 6,000 lbs, to a height of 21 inches, with dual piston design,
I think the 'long reach' refers to the 31.5 inch length of the floor jack. It will reach a long way under the side or the back of the vehicle to a jack point.
Price= $229.99
The deal breaker here is the Daytona's 103 lbs. weight due to the steel construction compared to the 33 lbs of the aluminum jack. The only concern now is : will a Pittsburg aluminum jack lift a stock 2 door 4WD Blazer with stock size tires up high enough to change a tire ?!

George, look at the Pittsburg aluminum Rapid Pump racing jack. It looks like a copy of the Amazon jack. It even has the 'carry handle' on the side of the jack !

Quick Reply: What is the best floor jack to carry in a Blzr/Jimmy 2nd gen..?