General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What is the best floor jack to carry in a Blzr/Jimmy 2nd gen..?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2022, 12:21 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

For a link to the HFT Pittsburg aluminum Racing jack , here is the link below in case my link in my Post no. 10 above doesn't work.
Note the side carry handle on the 'driver's side' of the jack. Watch the video and see what you think.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-ton...ack-64545.html

Old 01-31-2022, 01:13 PM

Therefore the question is : how much lift does a floor jack have to have to raise a Blazer 4WD SUV up to change a flat tire. ???
I pulled out my small Sears lite weight jack and measured from floor to fully extended height and it was 13 inches. That means the Pittsburg 1.5 ton has a lift of 13 7/8 inch---- only 7/8 of an inch higher. than my old Sear's floor jack. Not much of an improvement. What if I go to a Pittsburg 2 ton alum. floor jack? So it is a 2.0 inch greater lift over the 1.5 alum. racing jack. Not bad. But to gain that 2.0 inch greater lift you have a jack that weighs 37.5 lbs and is a total of $179.99 which is $90.00 more than the 1.5 ton. jack. I could buy two of the 1.5 ton jacks for what I pay for one 2 TON jack.

Old 01-31-2022, 02:17 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Can you put something like a 2" spacer under the saddle of the jack you already have? That should give you plenty of lift, assuming you have stock-sized tires. Unless you're looking for an excuse to buy a new jack, in which case, carry on...

Old 01-31-2022, 06:05 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Yes I can change tires on a stock Blazer with that lightweight aluminum jack.

George

Old 02-01-2022, 12:49 AM

Thanks for that info, George.
Tom, No, NO, I am not trying to buy one new jack, I am trying to justify buying two: One heavy steel one for the garage and one light weight one to carry in the SUV for flat tires and other road side repairs. Thanks for exposing my plan. You can't have too many tools.

Old 02-01-2022, 08:15 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jimspahr@msn.com
Thanks for that info, George.
Tom, No, NO, I am not trying to buy one new jack, I am trying to justify buying two: One heavy steel one for the garage and one light weight one to carry in the SUV for flat tires and other road side repairs. Thanks for exposing my plan. You can't have too many tools.
Well, you should have said so to begin with, lol.

This one should do the trick for you with a 17" lift height and a weight of only 32lbs.

Old 02-01-2022, 07:46 PM

Lift of 17 inches and aluminum construction. Does that include free shipping ? For only $941.00, that should include a Humvee filled with a Formula 1 pit crew following behind my '03 Blazer. With a can of racing fuel in case I ran out. JK, I like to do my own work and in a leisurely way. Thanks for a glimpse into another world. BTW I am a true F1 racing fan. I try not to miss a race. This was an exciting season.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:10 PM

One of the key things in lifting a vehicle is : where do you place the jack when jacking it up ? Example---you can place it on the frame jack points as shown in an owner's manual. Generally just behind the front wheel and just ahead of the rear wheels. Check your 'owner's manual' for specific info. Then for MAX lift, you could put the jack under the front 'A arm which would give additional lift. For example, then a lift of only 13 7/8 inch may be sufficient to lift the wheel high enough to remove it and replace it with a spare tire. You could also place it in the middle of the cross member just under the engine. This jacking position would give you no advantage in the lift department because the wheels would sag down. The under the 'A' arm suspension would give the maximum lift.

Old 02-06-2022, 03:21 PM
BF Veteran

If I were in the market for a new floor jack and I had the budget for it, I would seriously consider a Pro Eagle jack.

It has plenty of capacity, plenty of lift height, and it won't high center on a zip tie. Kind of a jack of all trades (my apologies for the horrible pun).

Old 02-08-2022, 07:01 AM

Tom, that Pro Eagle floor jack looks like a rugged 4WD jack for 4WD.drive trucks should look. The jack's wheels look like 4WD truck wheels that would not sink into soft sand or mud. The last two jacks you have recommended I have never heard of before.

Quick Reply: What is the best floor jack to carry in a Blzr/Jimmy 2nd gen..?