General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 12:38 AM
ski9600 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01 Jimmy SLE
since I replaced an axle seal, I've been meaning to top off the oil in the front diff.. so I finally did that today. Also used some belt conditioner stuff to eliminate a squeal. ALSO realized I have an exhaust leak -.- the muffler outlet is leaking.. which means a good excuse to buy a nice muffler!
Also, i think my rear main is leaking. Every morning there's a few drips of oil under my truck, right under where the tranny and engine connect. Those rubber plugs have a bit of oil on them. What's the little cover for at the bottom of the tranny right near the engine? I don't have a picture, but I figure you either do or do not know what I'm talking about
You might like to check your belt tensioner bearing. I had that fail last summer at about 120,000 mile and of course there was no P/S or P/B and I was doing about 75 mph right next to a tractor-trailer rig when it happened while on a slight curve. In fact, the whole tensioner assembly fell off which of course took out the serpentine belt. It wasn't fun, kind of scary. But anyway, I survived.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:06 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Seems to be an S10 trait. That happened to the '91 we had a few years back. Since then, I remove the tensioner, then remove the pulley and soak just the tensioner in used motor oil. Then I remove the idlers, and pry the seals out of bearings to grease the hell out of them. Haven't had one fail since.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:39 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Been haveing this problem also, found this online. With the truck running, very carefully take a wire brush and rough up the edges of the serp belt and the ribs. Worked for me

Old 06-18-2014, 09:55 AM
Starting Member
Blazer_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I was also having trouble with a noisy serpentine belt that I tried to eliminate first by using a spray on "belt dressing" which worked for about a week, then I tried spraying brake cleaner on all the pulleys and on the belt, that quieted it down for a couple of days but it was back as loud as ever, I changed the belt tensioner and the pulley but was still hearing noise. I finally changed out a perfectly good Gates belt for the Dayco “W” profile belt at Autozone. All belt noise completely disappeared. It's been close to 6 months since I changed over to the Dayco and it's still super quiet. Here's what Dayco claims:

Designed for high mileage multiple-accessory drives, Dayco’s “W” profile belt (patent pending) is the most innovative advancement in multi-rib belt design in over 25 years. Dayco® Poly-Rib® Belts meet or exceed SAE J1459 and SAE J2432 specifications. This Poly-Rib® Belt is another Dayco® product proudly made in the USA.
  • The "W" profile rib has been engineered to conform to slight misalignments, the number one cause for belt noise
  • Aramid noise resistant fibers embedded in the rubber make this belt run quieter in worn or misaligned pulleys
  • No-Noise Advanced Design EPDM rubber compound for quiet extended life
  • Made in the USA

Old 06-18-2014, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran

May try that next

Old 06-18-2014, 07:05 PM
Starting Member
01 Jimmy SLE is on a distinguished road

Well I had the day off work today, so this morning I took the belt off and checked the idler, which was making a noise. Then I checked the tensioner and the plastic cover on the assembly was cracked. I don't know if that was a warning to change it or if it isnt a big deal, but I changed it anyway. I picked up a new cv, an idler ,and the tensioner assembly. Changed it all in less than 3 hours... I'd have to say that's the first time I've done work on that truck and everything went smoothly and as planned! now the belt noise is gone and a clunk that always happened when I turned the wheel hard to the right is also gone!

Old 06-22-2014, 10:48 AM
BF Veteran

Got rid of my single electric fan and put in a dodge intrepid dual. Got a 6 blade HD for 50.00.

Old 06-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Starting Member
jmparker82 is on a distinguished road

I just got the front hitch i made up to fit welded and bolted in place. It is definitely going to help with any recovery's as well as parking any trailer in tight spots.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:39 PM
Forist72 is on a distinguished road
Default What i got done on my 1999 Blazer today

First off stopped and washed it, then off to the parts store. Picked up a set of air shocks and flow master 40 muffler. Got the shocks on, also put some 2 inch lift shackles and welded up the flow master. Gutted the cat, much more power now. Also maxed the torsion bars, now have 35 inch to top of wheel well in the back and 34 inch in the front like it much better . Think thats good for today

Old 06-22-2014, 09:13 PM
newleaf is on a distinguished road

charged the AC. Hoping it still holds tomorrow.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?