General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 09:42 AM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Just reserved a few quarts of auto Trac II from my local napa store for $8.10 a quart.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Not a thing as of yet since I'm waiting for my son to get motivated as usual. I have an 85 4x4 S10 which I bought for my son. The 2.8 (which I've learned have a notoriously weak lower end) had thrown a rod. Surprise! Surprise! Luckily I was searching forums like this one after finding out the three 2.8s I'd located before buying the Blazer had all been sold and found out the 3.1 was better and now we're getting close to putting in a 3.1 out of a 91 Camaro.

Next up I have to set the rockers, then put on the valve covers, flywheel, and motor mounts. After that I'm hoping we can get the old cracked out tires to hold air long enough to move the Blazer under the tree and drop it in.

Then I might have some puzzle work to do as I'm not familiar with these and the old man I bought it from already had everything disconnected. I haven't had any luck (though I haven't tried too hard yet) finding any pictures of engine compartments so I've got something to judge by while figuring out what hooks up where.

So, does anyone have an 85, or something that's the same under the hood, who has or would post some pictures of everything under their hood?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

New passenger front door handle.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

new rims with less backspacing coming tomorrow, now I can get rid of the wheel spacers. Also got some new rotors to throw on at the same time

Old 03-15-2015, 04:12 PM
TMM217 is on a distinguished road

Have any issues with your spacers? How many miles have you ran them?

Old 03-15-2015, 05:59 PM
BIPOLAR is on a distinguished road

Took some pics of it so I could put a few on here since I joined today. .lol

Old 03-15-2015, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TMM217
Have any issues with your spacers? How many miles have you ran them?
I`ve had em on for 2 years without a hicth

Old 03-16-2015, 12:23 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Tool all four rotors off and slotted them. Whew that was labor intensive!

Old 03-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Brian K. Balzer

So, does anyone have an 85, or something that's the same under the hood, who has or would post some pictures of everything under their hood?
That one should be a piece of cake, since it's carbureted, and has no electronic controls. All you need is 12v switched to an HEI ignition, fuel to the carburetor, and it's off and running. Nice and simple, like the 4.3 I stripped down for the same setup.

Just have to figure out where the temp & oil pressure sender wires are, and pick a positive connection for the alternator. That's the trickiest part if you can't find the OEM harness connection. There's plenty of alternator wiring diagrams on the net, so it's not too bad. I just used one to put an alternator in an old home-made Wisconsin-powered logsplitter I got running for someone. Works great! Going off memory I think I just jumped 2 connections in the alt. together, then ran a 3rd right to the battery - that was it. Was a V-belt alternator off a mid 80's full-size, so probably the same as what you've got in yours.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
That one should be a piece of cake, since it's carbureted, and has no electronic controls. All you need is 12v switched to an HEI ignition, fuel to the carburetor, and it's off and running. Nice and simple, like the 4.3 I stripped down for the same setup.

Just have to figure out where the temp & oil pressure sender wires are, and pick a positive connection for the alternator. That's the trickiest part if you can't find the OEM harness connection. There's plenty of alternator wiring diagrams on the net, so it's not too bad. I just used one to put an alternator in an old home-made Wisconsin-powered logsplitter I got running for someone. Works great! Going off memory I think I just jumped 2 connections in the alt. together, then ran a 3rd right to the battery - that was it. Was a V-belt alternator off a mid 80's full-size, so probably the same as what you've got in yours.
When I get to that point I'll be checking the Chilton's manual for whatever I can find but truthfully I'm better with visual identification so pictures of where things are routed on a similar engine would help me greatly. I'm glad to hear it shouldn't be too tricky though.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?