General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 01:34 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

First time I let someone else work on my truck. Alignment done

Old 04-24-2016, 03:42 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Both tail lights are 100% finished. Now I just need a good weather day to install them.

Old 04-24-2016, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by richphotos
Both tail lights are 100% finished. Now I just need a good weather day to install them.
Stop making excuses!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:43 AM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richphotos
Pics or it didn't happen.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:28 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
Pics or it didn't happen.
Check my build thread

Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Still plugging away on my son's Blazer when I can. I can't remember what I posted last. We finally got the power steering pump, alternator, ac unit, heater hoses, and a few other odds and ends hooked up. I had spent three days rebuilding two of the ears on the radiator shroud with JB Weld... then promptly broke the bottom one off while trying to get the transmission line in. (which had been replaced and wasn't bent perfectly) After that I spent a few days working upside down and rebuilding it again. Then we got the radiator, and battery put in.

At that point a guy who used to be a manager at AutoZone came out to take a look at the mess of vacuum lines to see if he thought he could hook them up. He said he'd do some research to see what needed to be hooked up and what could be plugged. It's been a week or two and no word from him so I'll be calling him soon.

I held off because we dumped a few gallons of gas into it to see if it would even try to fire. As soon as I saw the gas hit the fuel filter I knew we had an issue. It was amber looking. So, yesterday we got it up in the air and pulled the gas tank. That was fun. Three nuts and bolts on the front and the back as well as two bolts on one side and one bolt on the other just to pull the tank guard. Then four more to pull the tank itself. Naturally they were all stubborn even after being sprayed with PB Blaster.

After we dumped back out as much of the gas we could I was going to try to clean it out better. I was afraid the tank would be extremely bad inside but after I got it open I could tell it wasn't so we got out the last bit by turning it over and sloshing it back and forth out the top of the tank and then I rinsed it with fresh gas. Then I decided it would be wise to take it to the carwash to clean off the caked on mud. Today I went after it with a wire brush in my drill and cleaned off the rust so I could paint it with some Rustoleum. Good thing I did. I discovered more than half a dozen pinholes hiding under all the crude. The JB Weld and paint on half the tank is curing as I speak, er, type.

Next I'll paint the other half and then splice the wiring for the gas gauge that the mice chewed up. I'm trying to decide what to use to replace the disintegrated/missing sections of the insulator straps that go between the tank and the metal straps. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Brian K. Balzer; 04-25-2016 at 08:26 PM. Reason: To fix a spelling error. A.K.A. ---> O.C.D.
Old 04-26-2016, 09:09 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

I use strips of cut up inner tubes off motorcycles. The thicker the better. Moose Racing heavy duty inner tubes are great for this - they're like .060" or thicker. But, any inner tube is better than nothing. Rubber roofing will work the same as well.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default My first thought

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I use strips of cut up inner tubes off motorcycles. The thicker the better. Moose Racing heavy duty inner tubes are great for this - they're like .060" or thicker. But, any inner tube is better than nothing. Rubber roofing will work the same as well.

That was my first thought as well but I don't have anything like that around here. I might make some phone calls to see if any of the shops around here have some in their trash I can get.

Old 04-26-2016, 08:14 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough

Been working on this switch panel setup. Still need to install half of the lights and more wiring, progress none the less.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_4516_zpsdx9e9trd.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_4509_zpslsbfnifa.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 11:38 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Blazin_Jason
Been working on this switch panel setup. Still need to install half of the lights and more wiring, progress none the less.

Holy shiz... nice work. I want to see finished work, with a picture of video of each switch function.
Dont forget, imported you goodies from the US. LMAO

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?