General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 09:10 PM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default Preventative measures

Originally Posted by TMM217
Did rear backing plates and all new parking brake parts. Bought the ACDelco parking brake kit that included all new parts including parking shoes and new adjuster screws and rubber boots from Amazon. Didn't have time this weekend to finish but still have to get new rotors and pads. Will definitely relube caliper sliding pins. Luckily none were frozen up.
A little grease in the right places sure can make future jobs a Whole lot easier. I like to put a bit of grease on my lugs each time I have to pull a tire off. My son was complaining about taking time to do it once and I told him the first time he had to fight with a rusty lug and lug nut he'd regret not taking a few minutes.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Starting Member

So, as stated in a previous reply to someone, 'Old Blue', an '85 Chevy S10 4x4 Blazer, is finally alive after almost three years of working on her off and on. We took a 3.1 out of a 91 Camaro and changed the top end. Put on several new parts as needed, and some just because wisdom said that was the time to do it. Had to get an oil filter relocation kit because of the difference in mounting between the 2.8 and 3.1. It'll be easy to change now though. Also had to put on an aftermarket electric fuel pump as the 91 Camaro has an electric pump in the tank. Had to get the transmission rebuilt but the ole boy who did it is pretty cool. He'd told me to bring it in to be inspected whenever I got it running and the warranty would start then. He was true to his word even though I took it back a little over a year later.

Now I have it back over at the mechanic's house who did the vacuum lines and set the timing for me. After running for about forty-five minutes it would die and wouldn't start until it cooled back down. He's thinking it was the fuel pump. I'd made a rookie mistake and mounted it on the frame up by the engine. He was pretty sure it was getting hot and then not pumping as the filter would be empty. I've moved it to the back next to the tank but it still seemed to be acting up. Since it was past dark I'll be going back tomorrow to see what I shall see and possibly pull the fuel pump if it is indeed not working correctly so I can warranty it. Sure would be nice for it to be that simple.

We may also have an electrical issue, possibly the alternator, as the power seems to surge a bit for some reason.

Last edited by Brian K. Balzer; 11-27-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Forgetfulness
Old 11-28-2016, 07:33 PM
Beginning Member
Ridge is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Brian K. Balzer
I tried finding a set of those used and they are as rare as chicken teeth. I run those on my 78 T-Bird and 79 T-Camper. (T-Camper = a Thunderbird that still looks like a car but has been converted into a tow behind camper.)

I'll be looking for an affordable set for my son's 85 4x4 S10 Blazer fairly soon now that 'Old Blue' is finally alive again.
They were $350 with tax for the set. They have a warehouse near here, so I picked up to skip the shipping costs.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:10 AM
Beginning Member
2001_chevy_blazer_owner is on a distinguished road

Upgraded my shock absorber for the front and rear with AC Delco spring assist shock absorbers part number 519-21for the rear and 519-32 for the front.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-mi2kt6sc3pribosocekrryg.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-ac-delco-acdelco-51921-tp_570810159937277797f.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Starting Member
Default Two steps forward; three steps back

This seems to be the dance we are doing with 'Old Blue'. I replaced the electric fuel pump I'd originally put on and that solved the mysterious problem of dying after about 45 minutes. We also put on a set of smoked tail light covers since one cover was missing and I could get a set of smoked for $35 or a single original for $25 or $30. The new set just made sense.

I took it back to the transmission shop that rebuilt the tranny for us and had them show me where the kick-down cable hooked up and then got it hooked up like it's supposed to be.

Next was to get tires on it since we'd only mounted some old nasty ones to be able to move it around while working on it. I had told my son not to be driving 55-60mph because at least one looked like it might blow out.

Well, unfortunately he didn't listen, and ran it up to about 55 or 60 at one point. The tires held but the bungee cord I had holding the hood down while I had the hood latch off until I could replace the frozen release cable didn't. The hood flew up on him.

I will say, he handled it well. He didn't seem to panic at all. He just slowed it down until he was almost stopped (staying well located in his lane while doing so) and then eased it off into the ditch. We then pulled the hood off and put it in the van and took it on up to Walmart to get the tires.

We got a set of 50,000 mile P235 75 R15 with lifetime balance and road hazard for just under $400. Since it was after dark when we were going to pick it up I went ahead and picked up a headlight since the driver's side low beam was out.

After installing the light my son brought the Blazer home and then informed me that the front end wobble he suspected was the old unbalanced tires was still there so I'm probably looking at tie rod ends, ball joints, or wheel bearings or something.

We got out there today to see what was keeping the hinges from going down. Started off trying to figure out how to pull the wiper arms. Luckily I didn't listen to the kid at AutoZone who told me to use a three jaw puller. Instead I did a quick online search and found that simply lifting the arm and then slipping a small punch (or nail or drill bit) into the hole it releases it and they come right off. After those were off it was pretty easy to pull the cowl.

Once they were exposed I could see the hinges were bent. At first I started to try to force them back down and even had my son climb up there and push with his foot. Then I told him to stop and let me check to see if any were available rather than trying to fight getting them right again. We'll be headed to the salvage yard tomorrow to pick up a set for $30.

They're supposed to have a hood release cable as well for about $20 or $25 but now my son is thinking he might want to do hood pins instead. I'm not sure which would be better. I'm not familiar with how the hood pins would install on this. I've never used them before.

Well, at least we're making progress.

P.S. as far as I can tell there was no damage to the hood itself and it Didn't bust out the windshield.

Just call me 'Lucky'

Old 12-01-2016, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member
Ridge is on a distinguished road

Mine failed emissions today, too high of CO in the exhaust and a gas cap that won't seal. I replaced the air filter, bought a new gas cap and a container of fuel booster/cleaner to dump into the tank, as well as a new O2 sensor that I'll install this weekend.

Old 12-01-2016, 07:18 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Recent work on my S15 Jimmy

Replaced left exhaust manifold, Rebuilt TBI, Replaced IAC, Replaced Cap, Rotor and Plugs, Set Timing, Replaced Air Filter and Changed Oil.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

May have bought a ford...

Old 12-03-2016, 12:29 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Thogert
May have bought a ford...
And you have officially been disinvited from the forum!

JK I have looked at a couple Furds myself lately. Details?

Old 12-03-2016, 03:27 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

2010 F150 Lariat FX4 Leather Crew cab yadda yadda.

Pretty nice, got a good deal on it too. Still kept the Coly though.

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-6f1dda0b-79ac-4b30-8a4a-c00dcb6fd84d_zpsis5kvoxw.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-imag0092_zps010h155b.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-imag0085_zpsadw9hkjt.jpg  

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?