General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Franco
When you say "new intake", do you mean intake manifold gaskets? If they did that, they would have R&R'ed the distributor. The bottom of the distributor goes into the top of the oil pump driveshaft. If the distributor is not seated properly (happened to me), the oil pump might not work properly and the timing would be off, which may be the source of your code.

That's the the first place I would look, anyway...

Let us know!
From what they told me, I'm probably going to need a new block down the road. Everything actually ON my engine is new, and I originally brought it in to treat overheating. What the mechanics told me is after testing and evaluating my truck for most of the week, this is probably an internal issue. It'd be cheaper to just get a new block than to open mine up and do the work. I think I'm leaning towards that anyway. They told me if I supply the block, they will move everything new on the old engine over just for the cost of labor. I guess this would probably be an opportunity to get performance cams and whatnot too. I want to keep the Blazer and at this point where I am with it, it makes more sense to do that than to buy another car for what I can afford and inherit its problems.

What do you guys think?

Old 09-21-2018, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I would go down that road. At least youll know that itll last another 500k easily

Old 09-21-2018, 05:17 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Exactly, Cimmerian. You already know what to expect with the Blazer. Better to stay with the devil you know then the devil you don't.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:24 PM
roadkillracer is on a distinguished road

G'day, Haven't done much with my Blazers lately. We are parting out a 2000 that had an engine fire and destroyed the wiring harness. Nice truck other than that. We have just about finished gathering parts for the K5 Blazer we are going to start on this winter. Picked up a donor vehicle with an injected 454 with a 4L80E and another with a 6.0 and a 4L80E. Just need to decide which would be easier.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:33 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally installed the new dash cover and cup holder. I threw the floor mat in the the back that I snagged at you-pull-it last weekend.

Old 09-22-2018, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran

Looks good

Old 09-22-2018, 06:18 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Replaced all the exterior lights, except the headlights, with leds. Installed a new flasher relay for the led turn signals. While all the lights worked when turning on the headlight switch I found I had no blinkers at all. With the original relay installed they flashed rapidly. Reinstalled all the regular bulbs until I can figure out my options.

Old 09-22-2018, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Installed my new front driveshaft (after changing the yoke on my transfer case), and changed my clutch master cylinder.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran

Driver side front fender at 90% complete.

Old 09-22-2018, 11:08 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Removed the left front drive axle to get at a leaking front differential seal. In the process found that the upper ball joint on the Rough Country upper control arm was bad.

When I installed them 3 years ago (to the month) I noticed they were not greaseable. The new replacements (Moog K6540) are. Will be ordering replacements from Rock Auto that will save me about $80 over getting them locally. I expect to be able to press them out and got a rental tool to do that. Hope it comes out fine.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?