General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 07:16 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
FUN...

okay not really...

Should have the new heater core in tomorrow and start putting everything back together. Going to take my time and get everything buttoned up Wednesday afternoon.

Started off planning to just lean the dash back. Then I realized it was only a couple plugs away from just lifting completely out and giving a TON more room, so I went ahead and just did that...
They really crammed a lot of stuff into our little Blazers! LOL

Old 10-30-2017, 08:30 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Yeah no doubt...

It's a tedious process. Not too hard, just time consuming to do it right...

Old 10-30-2017, 10:22 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Looks aggravating as hell.👆
Best of luck with the reinstall.

Old 10-31-2017, 09:17 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

How did you get Photobucket to work? Thought they shut everyone's account down with their extortion scheme ...

Yeah, gotta love the way they engineer vehicles today. Heater core job in my '85 Monte Carlo took me a half hour! All under the hood. Same with the evaporator core in my '86 Grand Marquis, only a bit longer, since I had to remove the inner fender for access.

Sure don't build 'em like they used to.

Old 10-31-2017, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I remember when I took mine apart thinking my heater core was gone... then stupid me realized I never checked the anti freeze level... lone behold I did that job for nothing! Lol lucky for me the truck wasn't on the road so I was able to leave it sit for a week lol

Old 10-31-2017, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member
Thnos is on a distinguished road

Wow, gonna add to the heater stuff. My Blazer had been making a gurgling sound at start up for the last year an water was mysteriously disappearing, not a lot, just enough to worry me... Already replaced lim gasket, heater core, radiator, hoses... Couldn't find a leak. Well it was the water pump weeping from the hole just so slightly I couldn't see until it was so bad it was actually pulling the rpm's down and leaking enough that I could find it!
I was dreading changing it but with a large crescent wrench an a box end it took maybe 20 mins. Finished just in time for my wife to come home an tell me the battery light was on in her Explorer.....

Old 10-31-2017, 03:13 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thnos
Wow, gonna add to the heater stuff. My Blazer had been making a gurgling sound at start up for the last year an water was mysteriously disappearing, not a lot, just enough to worry me... Already replaced lim gasket, heater core, radiator, hoses... Couldn't find a leak. Well it was the water pump weeping from the hole just so slightly I couldn't see until it was so bad it was actually pulling the rpm's down and leaking enough that I could find it!
I was dreading changing it but with a large crescent wrench an a box end it took maybe 20 mins. Finished just in time for my wife to come home an tell me the battery light was on in her Explorer.....
Funny you should say that....I had me Blazer apart for the injector upgrade when my wife called and said her car wouldn't start.
I think our wives cars get jealous of us spending too much time with our Blazers. That's not the first time that's happened.

Old 10-31-2017, 06:17 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Actually split the heater box open today to clean out all the antifreeze. Crap was everywhere...

But I got the new core in and the dash set back in. Started rerouting wires and hooking everything back up. She'll be done tomorrow It's nice having anther vehicle to drive during this process lol but man do I want my Blazer back!...

Old 11-01-2017, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default LIM, fuel injectors, distributor installed

Got a little time in tonight to get the lower intake manifold back on along with the new upgraded fuel injector spider.

I found myself being very careful and taking my time to make sure I had the injectors in the right holes! I did not want to come back to it!

I also learned a lesson about the oil-pump drive keyway that engages with the distributor. I thought I had the distributor all lined up to go back in but it didn't go in with the rotor pointing in the right direction. When I could get it in, it would be off by 60 or 120 degrees.

Turned out the oil pump shaft that engages with the distributor shaft has a slot for engaging each other. I was able to use a LONG straight blade screwdriver to get it rotated back so that when I dropped the distributor back in, allowing for the pitch on the gear, it lined up exactly with my mark for the rotor. I was so happy it worked, I actually danced a bit!

Tomorrow, finish up with the upper intake manifold. I'm SO glad I took pictures of it all and that I bought a 0-250 in-lb torque wrench!

Christine

Old 11-01-2017, 07:53 AM
Starting Member
don james is on a distinguished road

Soooo, how did you manage to turn the oil pump out of it's position...:-)

Just curious............I hope it starts and runs well for ya..........If you think that you did NOT do anything to get the oil pump out of wack.........and it won't start....I would got to the distributor first thing.........

could be that you turned the pump shaft when you pulled the distributor out.....or even going back in.......as long as you lined up with your mark.......I'm betting for a good start

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?