General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:01 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road
Default 3 days later.......

Pulled out of the circle k, and suddenly there was a violent vibration from the front end and then a bunch of debris on the road in my rear view. Apparently the bottom half of the fan shroud wasn't properly secured and my new fan clutch created so much wind force that it sucked it up into the fan, thereby destroying the fan, radiator, and bottom half of the shroud quite efficiently.
That's the rule, I suppose. Can't have everything running right at the same time for too long. Something HAS to be broken SOMEWHERE.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Pulled out of the circle k, and suddenly there was a violent vibration from the front end and then a bunch of debris on the road in my rear view. Apparently the bottom half of the fan shroud wasn't properly secured and my new fan clutch created so much wind force that it sucked it up into the fan, thereby destroying the fan, radiator, and bottom half of the shroud quite efficiently.
That's the rule, I suppose. Can't have everything running right at the same time for too long. Something HAS to be broken SOMEWHERE.
I know that feeling all too well... Since we bought the blazer, there hasn't been a month where I have not put money into her.
Parts coming in:
Upper control arm bushings
Front driver side hub
Parts to be installed:
Upper ball joints
pitmans arm
Idler arm
Sway bar links

Old 09-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Default Amen!

Originally Posted by donl
i know that feeling all too well... Since we bought the blazer, there hasn't been a month where i have not put money into her.
Parts coming in:
Upper control arm bushings
front driver side hub
parts to be installed:
Upper ball joints
pitmans arm
idler arm
sway bar links
testify!!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:25 AM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road
Default I can relate.

[QUOTE=DonL;680131]I know that feeling all too well... Since we bought the blazer, there hasn't been a month where I have not put money into her.

Here I thought Old Blue was just a money pit because she'd never been taken care of and sat in a farmer's field for so long.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Default Home again

Towed her home after work this morning.
Have purchased a radiator off eBay (no stones please) and will be headed to pull a part when I get off tomorrow morning for the balance of the remaining parts.
DAMMIT.

Old 09-13-2017, 05:52 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Mounted a CB antenna to my spare tire carrier. Planning on running the cable for it and installing the CB over the weekend, weather permitting...

Old 09-13-2017, 08:11 PM
BF Veteran

So im thinking of changing the name of the balzer to money bag... Just because I keep putting money into it.

Got the front driver hub done, for the second time. Not letting the shop do it again, so it was a 55$ Canadian job... Maybe 85 if u include the bottle of rum and coke

Passenger upper ball joint and sway bar links this weekend with the idler or pitman arm( did one when I bought the truck)

Attached Thumbnails what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_20170913_193701335.jpg   what have you gotten done on your blazer today?-img_20170913_200143403.jpg  
Old 09-16-2017, 06:24 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Installed a 50" curved LED bar using 99-06 Silverado brackets with a little bending and persuasion. Mounted solidly, one of those "good from far but far from good" installs lol. Not wired up just yet, may tackle that tomorrow.

The passenger side wiper hits the bottom of it lol... I guess I'm going to have to get a blade that's a little shorter...

The driver's side has plenty of clearance.

These were fun to get installed without the tool to make them press in... But I managed with a little ingenuity

Old 09-16-2017, 06:27 PM
BF Veteran

Very nice

Old 09-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Starting Member
Brian K. Balzer is on a distinguished road

Finally got the Old Blue timed so my son could start driving it again and discovered he was running hot for some reason. Then the night that we were picking up the RV that I intend to pull the 460 out of for my '78 Thunderbird he left it idling and it started to overheat, big time.

About the time I rolled up to it there was a big 'Whoosh/Hissss' as if a hose had blown. I was pretty worried considering all the hoses were new. Turned out, when he had put the lower radiator hose on he had missed the mark with the hose clamp at the waterpump. It had been just barely on the bottom of the neck letting it leak and had built up enough pressure to blow the hose off.

Got it back on and thought that was the end of the overheating problems. He called me from town the following day after work to say he needed a tow home because he'd overheated and thought he could baby it to AutoZone and blew a head gasket. Turned out it had just been too hot to start. We could tell it was leaking under/behind the AC pump so we pulled it off yesterday and let it idle until it started to leak. Found a pinhole in the heater hose that goes into the block just above the waterpump.

I was grateful for a simple fix for a change.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?