General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 03:26 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Not gonna happen, DonL - that box MUST come out. Thank GM for that brainstorm. They left about 3/4" between the lower nut and the crossmember. You can hardly get a wrench in there, let alone the puller. Been there, done that .. MANY times.

Pulling the box isn't all that bad. Hardest part IMO is getting the steering shaft off the splines if everything is rusted. You don't have to actually REMOVE the box. Don't touch the p/s lines - just maneuver the box around just so that you can get the puller on there.

Pic is from my old 1st gen, but the 2nd gen is pretty much the same.
I had to remove mine completely and cut it with a cut off wheel

Old 04-06-2018, 07:45 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Just changed the catalytic converter out due to some rattling.
Also noticed the lower bolt that connects the cat (rear gasket) to the muffler was busted off at the head...so drilled it out and replaced.
I noticed the bolt a month ago when changing the oil... But I've also noticed it on a few other blazers and s10 pickups around the salvage yard.
Yet another "quirk".

Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road
Default My 97 4dr 4wd

Replaced the shift solenoids (1-2,2-3, and the 3-2 downshift solenoid). Seems to be back to normal. Excellent!!

Old 04-08-2018, 12:01 AM
Keystone40 is on a distinguished road

I put T10 LED bulbs in the front corner market lights and for the license plate lights for a refreshed night-time looks. I also used light rubbing compound (wetted well) on the plastic back-up light lens and the plastic fog-light lenses in the front. It cleared them up real well (previously a foggy old yellowish color).

Old 04-08-2018, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by N. Jensen
Just changed the catalytic converter out due to some rattling.
Also noticed the lower bolt that connects the cat (rear gasket) to the muffler was busted off at the head...so drilled it out and replaced.
I noticed the bolt a month ago when changing the oil... But I've also noticed it on a few other blazers and s10 pickups around the salvage yard.
Yet another "quirk".
Yep, I had that bolt head bust off too. I suspected someone had attempted to steal my cat converter but now I know it just happens somehow. I purchased stainless steel bolts and nuts, gave them to my mechanic to use when he put a new gasket on for me here at the front of the muffler.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:19 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Replaced the boot over the shift lever on the steering column. I predict 25% increase in mileage and 20% increase in power output!

Oh, and it just looks better than the old torn one.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:19 PM
canadianbacon is on a distinguished road

Checked out a couple of plugs since I need to do them (along with wire, cap and rotor). I'm assuming the plugs are original, but cylinder 1 was gapped to roughly .070", and cylinder 5 was right on .060". I only checked those 2 since the passenger side is easy to get to, but I need to find a way to get the middle plug out on the drivers side, behind the steering shaft.

Also, going to be changing the gasket before the muffler tomorrow, along with removing the plastic bumper/fascia on the front.

Old 04-11-2018, 05:37 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Fuel pump got tired of my ish and died like 100ft away from my home. i had the day off. Planned some vodka and cranberry and relax and watch tv...Ended up spending a few hours changing the pump. GOOD thing is i know alot of people. Total bill for a 20 min tow and them helping me swap it? $25.00

Pump SHOULD be under warranty from a year ago. I work at a parts store so i didnt check yet. Just grabbed a new delphi unit and saved a ticket. Boss was cool with it. Man she looks a lil rough. Time for a wash and touch up.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by canadianbacon
Checked out a couple of plugs since I need to do them (along with wire, cap and rotor). I'm assuming the plugs are original, but cylinder 1 was gapped to roughly .070", and cylinder 5 was right on .060". I only checked those 2 since the passenger side is easy to get to, but I need to find a way to get the middle plug out on the drivers side, behind the steering shaft.

Also, going to be changing the gasket before the muffler tomorrow, along with removing the plastic bumper/fascia on the front.
'Bacon, that plug behind the steering shaft - I think in the past I've used a wrench on a spark plug socket, they usually have a Hex on the end. You can access this through the wheel well reach in across the top of the tire. Many of the tough ones are done by feel (you can't see it but you can do it by feel).

Old 04-12-2018, 05:49 AM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

That's what I did, wrench and socket. But since I pulled my shaft out to do the coupling disk, I found that that is really easy to pull out. For the extra 10-15 pulling and reinstalling, I thought it would be a lot less stressful pulling that out if there's a next time I have to do them.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?