General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 02:35 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Installed those Dorman fit-it seat handles on both sides. Used #10 1&1/2 inch screws and some high strength thread lock. If they ever break again I'll be upgrading the seats altogether.
Also got rid of that AWFUL metal-on-metal squeak from the back glass. I took the strike plate off the glass and put a couple of layers of that super thin styrofoam paper they use for packaging fragile items in the mail between it and the glass. Also took some of that same material and put it behind the rubber stoppers that the drop gate rests against to help snug it up against the glass. Then test drove for about 30 miles and never heard a sound from it. I lubed the lock mechanism and the hinges with white lithium grease when I got back. Hopefully it stays quiet a good long time.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:29 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Removed everything from the inside, vacuumed all the dirt and debri out, thoroughly soaked with carpet cleaner and scrubbed till my arms and hands hurt, let it dry and vacuumed again. Looks much better now. Programmed the new key fob I received in the mail today. First time in at least ten years I've had a working key fob for it. Made appointments for next Monday and Tuesday to replace the cat converter and the steering gear box. After that a new windshield.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:30 PM

Fashioned a remedy for the once-again-failed armrest. Preliminary results are SUPER solid.
This is some of that strap material for hanging ductwork. It's strong enough for this purpose and flexible enough to bend around these odd angles.
I used a combination of screws and pop rivets. Quite strong.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:39 PM
Beginning Member
steveduns is on a distinguished road

Got the completely rebuilt 4.3 installed back in my 2000 4wd ZR2 Blazer today. Started pulling March 3 after destroying several main/rod bearings after LIM gasket failed. After machine shop bored .30 over, straightened the rods and new valve job I replaced: Crank, cam, pistons, lifters, timing set, dist., water pump, upgraded to mpfi, plugs, wires, all hoses and belt, harmonic balancer, replaced all the wire harness convoluted cover with tech flex split harness wrap, wire wheeled every nut and bolt that wasn’t replaced with new. Stripped the engine bay and sanded, primed and painted the firewall, frame, inner fender wells and all the other black and silver/aluminum parts.

Now starting the process of installing everything back on the motor and in the bay, bleeding brakes and power steering, siphoning out the old gas and filling the fluids. Hoping this thing fires up with only a few minor inevitable issues. Please wish me luck, going to need it.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by steveduns
Got the completely rebuilt 4.3 installed back in my 2000 4wd ZR2 Blazer today. Started pulling March 3 after destroying several main/rod bearings after LIM gasket failed. After machine shop bored .30 over, straightened the rods and new valve job I replaced: Crank, cam, pistons, lifters, timing set, dist., water pump, upgraded to mpfi, plugs, wires, all hoses and belt, harmonic balancer, replaced all the wire harness convoluted cover with tech flex split harness wrap, wire wheeled every nut and bolt that wasn’t replaced with new. Stripped the engine bay and sanded, primed and painted the firewall, frame, inner fender wells and all the other black and silver/aluminum parts.

Now starting the process of installing everything back on the motor and in the bay, bleeding brakes and power steering, siphoning out the old gas and filling the fluids. Hoping this thing fires up with only a few minor inevitable issues. Please wish me luck, going to need it.
After losing your engine to a bad LIM gasket, I hope your rebuilt motor will be more than just a simple replacement so that you will have something better under the hood than what you had in the old original motor.

Good Luck!

Old 08-21-2018, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by steveduns

Sounds great!! Please tell us you plan to post dyno results!!

Old 08-25-2018, 06:56 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Swapped the old dirty rad for a new to me from the upull... lucked out with how clean it is...

Old 08-25-2018, 08:26 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Bought a bike carrier at Goodwill for $9. Looked up up when I got up, retails for over $200 new o.O Last one I had to used once and never used again... wasn't really suppose to be used how I used it... it was a car trunk style carrier and I hung it off my spare tire on the back of the Blazer lol. This one I got today slides into the trailer hitch and is MUCH more sturdy... Bought the wife and I new bikes earlier this year and just haven't used them much because of how much of a hassle it is to get them loaded up into the BACK of the Blazer... which IS doable, but it was a total pain in the @$$... Now maybe we can load them up and use them more often good thing too, this desk job is making me thick around the mid-section, I need more physical movement in my life...

Old 08-25-2018, 08:34 PM
Kergan77 is on a distinguished road
Default Rockerbar bolts install

It was not hard☺. Still having trouble with my O2 sensors bank1sensor1 & bank2 sensor1 not reading. I installed them new. I have no clue what would cause that. Checked the fuse, cleaned contacts. Any ideas?

Old 08-26-2018, 05:04 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Battery was dead this morning. Upon looking into why I found the wires at the + terminal lug were loose. The battery was fairly old so I picked up a new battery and lugs. Reworked the lug connection and installed everything. I'm not sure the repair of the lug is going to last long term so I got on Rockauto and ordered a new cable and everything to change out the spark plugs, spark plug wires, rotor, distributor cap, and a new battery tray.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?