General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2019, 07:25 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Yeah, it would have been under $600 were it not for those two parts I had to buy and overnight. I'm moving next week and had to absolutely get them here.

Old 11-23-2019, 02:08 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Trying to get the Jimmy ready for next week's snow storms and it's winter recovery duty's. I managed to get the oil and filter changed as well as the fuel filter. I've been having a random cold morning no start condition. I checked fuel pressure and Max key on engine off was 43 psi. I replaced the fuel pump 2 years ago with a cheap Amazon pump. I need to check the ground back by the tank but I think it's time for another pump.

Old 11-23-2019, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Discovered that my radiator cap is leaking. It is one of the Rad Caps with the sacrificial anodes. Doing research on my options.

Old 11-25-2019, 11:33 AM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road

little stuff... replaced rear tail light bulbs that were out, investigated the TCCM, washed and reconditioned the tire sidewalls, wiped down the top of the engine bay, white lithium to every latch and hinge, Dielectric grease to bulbs, defroster pins, and current tccm just for what ifs. now the doors don't Creek, the hood doesn't stick, and the tires shine LOL. no luck on Reviving The control module or the bottom half of my rear Gate Glass defroster. I bought a Cool Copper paint repair kit from Permatex but for the life of me I cannot find where my grid is broken or scratched.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:16 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Well with my 96 GMC Sierra I replaced the 5 speed back in the spring. A bit of a job but not bad. I'd compare it with replacing the blazer fuel pump. Now since buying the wife's 2000 blazer "saphire" I've:
1. replaced the tires, some idiot put some small car tires on it to make it look "ghetto". The tires were used but still had the little nubs on them. Only issue is it's a 2x4 and the tires are 235x75 r15's So I have to remind the wife not to turn too tight or the tires rub in the wheel well.
2. had to replace the radio. The pioneer that was in it had a blown amp (common for those)
3. Used JB weld to fill the gap in the driver door hing socket for the new bushing. It's not holding up so looking at having it welded. Also looking into aftermarket hinges.
4. the power steering pump was replaced before we bought it but the pressure hose wasn't so had to do that.
5. removed some bs extra door seals on the driver door so when I fixed the hinge pin the door would actually close.
6. had to replace the control arm bushings. These were completely gone. No rubber.
7. both upper ball joints.
8. idler arm replaced.

Now my son brought a busted up 2001 blazer home in the spring. It was not saveable so we parted it out before scrapping it out. So I've got an extra complete upper intake, complete a/c system (intact even), radiator, water pump, alt, fan, all rotors and two of the calipers (1 back, 1 front), headlights, wire bundle from the engine, computer. Bonus...the new Delco fuel pump and tank, and a few more parts. Tried to get the whole engine but couldn't get the block off teh tranny (tranny was trashed) and the town was bitching to have us get rid of it.

this is gonna help since I still have to fix the wife's a/c. Turns out when the dealership replaced teh power steering pump they broke the a/c compressor. Specifically, they broke the plug behind the clutch off. So looks like i'm gonna use the compressor off my son's. Only issue is it's still charged.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:29 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road

Oh yea, the GMC. I recently did my old trick. Took the quick connect hose off the heater core and put in a regular nipple into the block after taking that quick connect socket out. I've done that on my past 4 GM trucks. everyone has gone bad. this one has been bad for a while as my dad let it go too long. The radiator was about 60% clogged with corrosion and old dex--cool crud. as well as the heater core which was only 3 years old. Now fully flushed, radiator from the son's blazer (not exactly the right size but better than the original) and no more coolant leaks. also during the flush I broke the water inlet over the thermostat.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:21 PM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Happy Thanksgiving from New Mexico. What I did to my Blazer was drive it through 200 miles of pitch white snow storm last night on I-40 West. Having snow rated tires, 4x4, and a light bar is invaluable I learned because I managed to get myself out of a ditch I slid into last night. Here's my babies first snow

Old 12-01-2019, 12:04 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Replaced the parking brake shoes, dust shields, rear axle bearing and seals on my 5sp blazer. Also replaced the encoder motor but it won't shift out of 4 hi.

Interesting build on the rear diff. Has 8.5 center but the 7.25 bearing and seals. Even weirder there is drain in the casing. Haven't seen that on this vintage diffs.

will check the transfer case and tccm tomorrow.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:58 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Drove off into the woods and then used the winch to pull a non-running project up onto a trailer, then hauled it an hour and a half home.

Old 12-01-2019, 06:59 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Nice. Those Argos are kinda fun.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?