General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 12:24 AM
Starting Member
Lefet is on a distinguished road

Definitely a nice set up Blazen_red_4x4!! Enjoy!!

Old 02-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Picked it up from the body shop , did a good job. Looks like they painted the front bumper cover and replaced the left front flare and flare extension.

Old 02-18-2018, 05:15 PM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Misfire on cylinder#2....Sounds simple enough...Unless you're me..

Checked for spark , had good spark..Replaced the plug, cleared the misfire codes..

Still running rough, so connected the scan tool to monitor a few parameters. Revved it to 2500rpm and held it steady..

My son at this time is watching everything from the front of the car..

Then, 2 minutes into this, much to my surprise, a loud clanging sound starts coming from the engine bay.

I get out of the car to see what the heck is going on. There my son is just staring wide eyed in amazement watching the belt shred itself into flying chunks and bits..

I didn't drop any screws , no foreign debris , no lost tools to get caught in the belt.

Knowing durn well that that the plug has nothing to do with the belt, unless of course, you're me.

The minute I fix one thing, another thing will soon fail, sometimes almost immediately. Doesn't matter what it is I am working on.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Mark Jahrsdoerfer is on a distinguished road
Default 93 chevy s10 blazer 4.3l vortec

I changed the spark plugs, wires, coil, distributor cap and rotor. The "service engine soon" light is on with code 53 which is the knock sensor. If you know how I could check which one is bad it would help a bunch. Also could use some help with the "anti-lock" light being on.

Old 02-19-2018, 06:19 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jone531@bellsouth.net
Misfire on cylinder#2....Sounds simple enough...Unless you're me..

Checked for spark , had good spark..Replaced the plug, cleared the misfire codes..

Still running rough, so connected the scan tool to monitor a few parameters. Revved it to 2500rpm and held it steady..

My son at this time is watching everything from the front of the car..

Then, 2 minutes into this, much to my surprise, a loud clanging sound starts coming from the engine bay.

I get out of the car to see what the heck is going on. There my son is just staring wide eyed in amazement watching the belt shred itself into flying chunks and bits..

I didn't drop any screws , no foreign debris , no lost tools to get caught in the belt.

Knowing durn well that that the plug has nothing to do with the belt, unless of course, you're me.

The minute I fix one thing, another thing will soon fail, sometimes almost immediately. Doesn't matter what it is I am working on.
Sometimes a bad tensioner, idler, or accessory bearing (alt. or A/C usually) can trigger a misfire code. Sounds like that one may just have been bad enough to do that.

If that wasn't it, start checking for lower intake manifold gasket leaks. Common issue on these engines, especially '96 - up.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Starting Member
Snap-Off is on a distinguished road

Thanks Smitty.. LIM gaskets already replaced. I very much believe the misfire and belt are completely unrelated at this time. I know for a fact that the belt tensioner is shot. I can move that thing easy from stop to stop by hand. The PS pump shaft has some in and out play. And my other suspicion is that the large water pump hose clamp is facing the direction of the belt, so if that belt got to floppin around a little, I could see how this clamp could start strippin away the belt after awhile.

@ Mark...Hey, I may be wrong, but I believe you only have one knock sensor on there.. Make sure it's plugged in and the wires not busted, burnt or partly stripped.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:55 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
Sometimes a bad tensioner, idler, or accessory bearing (alt. or A/C usually) can trigger a misfire code. Sounds like that one may just have been bad enough to do that.
So what is the connection between the belt and the accessories and a misfire code?

Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

The way misfires are detected is through the crank sensor - it will detect slowing of the crankshaft when there should be a firing event. Each trailing edge of the reluctor on the crankshaft corresponds with a firing event. With bad enough accessories, or a tensioner slamming around, the crankshaft will actually slow enough to trip that fault code.

Doesn't happen often, but it can, and does happen.

[email protected], some other things to check are cylinder contribution (IE a possible clogged injector), and compression & leak down (worn valves, bad spring, lifter, etc.).

Last edited by Smitty Smithsonite; 02-20-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:16 PM
Starting Member
awesomeamerican1 is on a distinguished road

I finally mounted a 2 door fuel tank Still needs some finishing touches though

Old 02-25-2018, 08:24 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I found another use for the rear tire carrier installed onto my 4 door

Picked up some junk kids bikes to tear apart and put one good one together for the niece. To be fair, I ran a ratchet strap up to the luggage rack to support some of the weight...

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?