General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Beginning Member
Hezzu is on a distinguished road

Broke a U joint bolt and gave up on trying to fix the fuel leak myself. Still taking the looser cruiser.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:41 AM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road

Installed my new grille, clear corners, LED turn signal bulbs, and HD Electronic flasher. I'll post a video tonight of how the signals work. Brings an updated look to an older truck.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:09 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Pressure washed it = drove it 55mph in the rain.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:08 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DoubleSh0t
Installed my new grille, clear corners, LED turn signal bulbs, and HD Electronic flasher. I'll post a video tonight of how the signals work. Brings an updated look to an older truck.
That looks awesome!
Where did ya snag the grille from? Can't wait to see the vid of the lights in action.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:52 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazerChick

Yeah. Hopefully next Wednesday ill have it. The guys dad is supposed to be back in Myrtle Tuesday afternoon.

I'm beginning to think that everyone is against my truck getting fixed lol.

chuck 'em Kayla. you can drive over them once she's all better, it make you feel better.

see............a WIN-WIN situation!

Originally Posted by RangerG
That looks awesome!
ditto on that.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:23 AM
DoubleSh0t is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys! I bought the grille from odfareal. All it needed was a little bit of polish and it looks brand new. We had a nasty storm last night so I wasn't able to get the video done, but I will try again tonight.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Jason from sanford is on a distinguished road

I have a 91 s10 blazer 4 door with 4 12s 2 6x9s a
2 teeeters and 2 6.5s. It has a 3 inch body lift and 31s on it. 350 tbi motor. I bought torsion keys to lift it up enough to fit my 33s on it, but id like some advice on how to install them, when take the bolt out will all of the pressure b off of the stock keys?? Do i need any special tools??

Old 05-04-2010, 06:13 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road
Default Finally changed driver's side upper & lower balljoints

After putting up with a increasingly nasty sounding knock on the drivers side for weeks, today I decided to tackle the job i'd been dreading. Found a lot of play in the lower joint a while back + a little play in the upper joint so bought a new pair on Ebay.
WHAT A BITCH OF A JOB!! It took me around 5 hours to do both of them but I reckon i'd shave a couple hours off that time if I ever had to do the same job again. I'd read the Chilton manual last night to familiarise myself with things. I then thought i'd try & be clever & cut a few corners - BIG MISTAKE! Biggest mistake I made was to try to chisel & drill the lower rivets off with the steering knuckle & CV axle in place - made a real mess of a couple of the holes in doing so - something i'm not at all proud of. Over 25 years experience working on motorcycles & cars should have told me to follow the book to begin with. I should have taken the steering knuckle right off to begin with instead of trying to work with it in place - there was no way that bottom joint was coming out with the knuckle & outer CV joint in place! So - I took the knuckle off. Got away with leaving the inner CV joint in the front axle tube & just moved the outer joint out of the way. Also, the manual says to back off the tension on the torsion bar - I didn't find the need to do that - I just placed a small jack under the lower arm & adjusted the height as needed. Gave all balljoints a good pump of grease when i'd bolted everything back together.
So - lesson learned - the manual DOES know best & I need my *** kicking for not believing that. At least I will know next time + the job should be easier anyway now that there are only bolts to worry about & no rivets. The passenger side was done at some stage before I got the vehicle so at least it will be less hassle that side should I ever need to do it.
On a brighter note - there is no more knocking so it was a job worth doing. Even though I made a mess of a couple of the lower arm holes I don't think I have weakened anything too much. I am visiting a friend in the USA again in October so, just for my own satisfaction I may check out a couple junkyards I know & get a good used lower arm to replace my butchered one, will easily fit in my suitcase. Have brought plenty of american vehicle spares back before on previous trips. Blazers are extremely rare here in the UK so my chances of finding one here are pretty slim - anything that does come up for sale is usually at a silly price because the sellers know that they are hard to find!
Hopefully things will be OK for a while now?

Last edited by DaveHearne; 05-04-2010 at 06:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Replaced all bushings on front sway bar using Energy Suspension bushings. What a difference it made in the ride quality. Either these bushings are awesome or my old ones were more wore out than I thought.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

not much, other than collected a little more dirt on it-it's been parked in my driveway since Saturday night (i'm stuck road testing my Dad's wife's POS Sunfire for a few more days)

but @ least it has a full tank of fuel when i get back to driving it!

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?