General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 10:42 PM
Starting Member
nomoresubies is on a distinguished road

I take that back. I cut the center yellow wire but didn't realize my e-brake was also on so that's why it seemed to work. Took it out for a spin today and noticed the e-brake lite was on. So after releasing the brake those godam DRL's came back on. F--k! I give up!!!

Old 04-16-2021, 10:45 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by nomoresubies
Finally tracked down the infamous "yellow wire" and eliminated my DRL's! Adjusted both e-brakes at the rear wheels as I had no holding power in reverse. Got some now!
I take that back. My e-brake was also on at the same time so even cutting that wire did not help. I give up!!!!

Old 04-17-2021, 02:56 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

I take that back. My e-brake was also on at the same time so even cutting that wire did not help. I give up!!!!
I've been working on a way to bypass the DRL system. This is what I've learned.

For Blazers delivered to the US, there is supposed be a way to override the DRL system by pressing I think the dome-override button 5 times in rapid succession. This is supposed to tell the BCM to go into manual mode for the exterior lights.

I tried that on my Blazer and it did not work. Then I learned that all vehicles in Canada must have DRLs starting in the mid 90s whereas they have never been mandatory in the US. Once I learned this, I checked and mine was originally delivered to Canada. So I think my BCM is programmed to not allow the DRL override.

To overcome this, I've been working off and on on a circuit work around.

What the circuit does is prevent the relays that control the DRL system from being energized by the BCM. Because I want to control this, I've had to create a switch system that opens and closes three additional relays that then when open make the BCM think the truck is in the mode of running, parking brake on, but having moved yet. In this mode all of the exterior lights are in manual mode.

What I have done to create this DRL bypass circuit I would never recommend to anyone! LOL It is way too much work. Fortunately for me I get a bit satisfaction out of working out such things.

I have completed the circuitry for the bypass relay circuit and have a modified headlamp switch in which I installed an extra button to control the DRL bypass. I am partially done with the wiring interface connector.

I'm attaching pictures below. The first is the circuit diagram I was able to piece together from several pages from my 1999 service manual. The following ones are of some of what I've completed.

I haven't looked at this for several months but perhaps you can work out a work-around. I think it could take a combination of removing some of the relays, possibly shunting a couple of what would have been the pins on them, and cutting at least one wire to the BCM.

Old 04-17-2021, 03:18 AM
Starting Member
BlazerDog97S10 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Rigged some used Roadpro RPSP-15 external speakers to fit in my Blazer's dash and connected them with a 3.5mm jack splitter at the CB. Could've got the correct sized speakers and just wired them but this was cost effective and they work. The sound is great how it reflects off the windshield.

Old 04-17-2021, 11:33 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, I just put some new JBL tweeters in mine...

Old 04-17-2021, 11:35 AM
Starting Member

Christine, all I can say is WOW!!!

Old 04-17-2021, 12:35 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

I second that! Very impressive.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:10 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
I second that! Very impressive.
I don't know if my work on the DRL override is a is a better measure of any impressiveness on my part or just plain stubbornness! LOL

Old 04-17-2021, 04:03 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough
Default Firewall has been primered.

Working on getting my firewall painted. Fist step complete.

Old 04-17-2021, 04:05 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
I don't know if my work on the DRL override is a is a better measure of any impressiveness on my part or just plain stubbornness! LOL
Your stubbornness is impressive. 😁

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?