General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2024, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Added 1" wheel spacers to the rear wheels.

I once had 1.25" but took them off because they made the rear track width a bit wider than the front. Now the rear track width is just a hair narrower.

I didn't need to do it, but I did grind the studs down to the first exposed thread to guarantee they did not exrend beyond the spacer.

Old 06-23-2024, 02:29 AM
Starting Member
BlazerDog97S10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by christine_208
I replaced the rear speakers in my 1999 Blazer. I learned that certain 6.5 in speakers can fit. It comes down to the outer diameter of the mounting frame for the speakers. It cannot be too large otherwise it would interfere with part of the armrest on the door panel. Some will not have mounting holes close to the ones for the original speakers, but some do.

I did a full write-up in my build thread.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds...15/#post753075
Pretty slick. Well done. I just replaced some cheap BOSS speakers in my door for some Cerwin Vegas. Now I have Vegas all around.

Old 06-23-2024, 08:45 AM
Starting Member

Oil change

Replaced driver side cv axle and axle seal.

New brake pads and brake shoes and brake hardware for the rear.

New NGK iridum spark plugs.

Added grease to all the joints that require it.

Repaired driver side abs wheel sensor. Slack in the cable was rubbing against the inside of the wheel, causing it to rub all the way through to where the wires were dangling by a few copper threads.

Touched up small rust spots then treated with FluidFilm.

It was a productive day.

Last edited by BlazerDog97S10; 06-25-2024 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-28-2024, 12:41 AM
Starting Member

Bought the upgraded double sun visors that extend and have lights in the vanity mirrors. Also an overhead console from a 98 Blazer in almost perfect condition.

Figured I'm going to be removing the headliner and putting down heat and sound barrier, so I might as well upgrade things while it's off.

Old 06-28-2024, 12:51 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazerDog97S10
Oil change

Replaced driver side cv axle and axle seal.

New brake pads and brake shoes and brake hardware for the rear.

New NGK iridum spark plugs.

Added grease to all the joints that require it.

Repaired driver side abs wheel sensor. Slack in the cable was rubbing against the inside of the wheel, causing it to rub all the way through to where the wires were dangling by a few copper threads.

Touched up small rust spots then treated with FluidFilm.

It was a productive day.
Originally Posted by BlazerDog97S10
Bought the upgraded double sun visors that extend and have lights in the vanity mirrors. Also an overhead console from a 98 Blazer in almost perfect condition.

Figured I'm going to be removing the headliner and putting down heat and sound barrier, so I might as well upgrade things while it's off.
I'll be interested in your thermal insulation installation. Nice score on the overhead console.

Regarding the abs sensor wire, I had really good luck protecting mine when it was parted by rubbing by first using heat-shrink on each wire, then over both, and finally a layer of the self-fusing wire. I forget why, but one time I had to cut it off and found that that stuffy really does fuse to itself.

Old 06-28-2024, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I suspended the insurance on the Blazer, and put insurance back on the 01 Chev 1500 2wd. The truck gets better mileage than the Blazer, but it is useless come winter. My Blazer has become my hunting/winter standby vehicle. My wife's car and the 01 2500HD are insured year round.

Old 06-30-2024, 06:34 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by AJBert
I suspended the insurance on the Blazer, and put insurance back on the 01 Chev 1500 2wd. The truck gets better mileage than the Blazer, but it is useless come winter. My Blazer has become my hunting/winter standby vehicle. My wife's car and the 01 2500HD are insured year round.
That's great. It's good to have different vehicles for different things.

Old 06-30-2024, 06:56 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by christine_208
I'll be interested in your thermal insulation installation. Nice score on the overhead console.

Regarding the abs sensor wire, I had really good luck protecting mine when it was parted by rubbing by first using heat-shrink on each wire, then over both, and finally a layer of the self-fusing wire. I forget why, but one time I had to cut it off and found that that stuffy really does fuse to itself.
After putting sound deadening/heat barriers on the interior, the roof is just open and the loudest part in the cab now since I didn't do that at the time. And the heat from summer sun just radiates.

Overhead consoles are everwhere on Ebay. I jumped on one that was in the best condition and matched my charcoal/black interior. Also got a full wiring harness for it on Ebay. Then the ambient temperature sensor and the plug for it on RockAuto.

All I did was remove the abs sensor and soldered it back together then use thick heat shrink, electrical tape and wiring loom and looped it downward so it wouldn't hit the wheel anymore. So far so good.

Old 06-30-2024, 08:35 PM
Starting Member

Got a new fuel level gauge motor from USdashworks. Hopefully it'll fix the needle from jumping around all over the place. I'm going to have the dash out, so might as well...

Last edited by BlazerDog97S10; 07-02-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2024, 04:53 AM
Starting Member

Today I'll be removing the headliner and installing sound/heat barrier, installing an overhead console, upgraded sun visors, and replacing the fuel gauge.

Last edited by BlazerDog97S10; 07-08-2024 at 01:56 PM.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?