General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

With crush sleeves, you can over-torque things since the crush sleeve sets the bearing preload & rotational force. In the D-44 (and I'm sure other axles), shims are used to get the rotational force in check during the assembly of the diff.

If you're replacing a seal on a 10-bolt or 12-bolt, you need to count the threads and mark the shaft & nut, putting things back to the exact same spot to keep things correct.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:27 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

That was my thought. With the crush sleeves, if you overtorque them, you have to start over with a new sleeve.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

And, most of the time, with new bearings & races. Many people don't realize that they screwed up until they've wasted the bearings.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:31 PM

All just sounds like a pain. I'd much rather not have to deal with that stuff. I have a hard enough time with "simple" things. Like my gear selector, and hubs, and tune ups, lol.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:09 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Been thinking about installing my body lift I got a week ago. I think somebody on this forum put up a youtube video of their experience with the lift. The instructions don't seem overly difficult. It looks like an impact driver might help though. Who all had an impact to do their install with? And if you don't mind where did you get yours at?

Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM

Well, I got the shifter to give me Neutral and all forward gears now, so I suppose I just have to push it backwards until I get park and reverse adjusted properly.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:49 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
With crush sleeves, you can over-torque things since the crush sleeve sets the bearing preload & rotational force. In the D-44 (and I'm sure other axles), shims are used to get the rotational force in check during the assembly of the diff.

If you're replacing a seal on a 10-bolt or 12-bolt, you need to count the threads and mark the shaft & nut, putting things back to the exact same spot to keep things correct.
thats what worries about replacing the front pinion seal in the ranger, i 'spose if you marked things real good and tightened it back down to exactly where it was before you might be o.k., but if not then youve got to go through alot to get things correct. for now im just keeping a close eye on fluid level, now that weve got some snow here, the front axle pretty much stays locked in.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
racsan is on a distinguished road

went out earlier in the blazer. enjoyed the working 4wd. found i had a bad spot on the drivers side wiper, so stopped at autozone for a new set of winter blades. glad ive decent tires on this winter, last year i started winter on tires barely fit for summer use. now its the ranger thats needing new shoes, put gas & weight in it today, glad its 4wd or it wouldnt be going anywhere. guess thats the next thing i'll have to give attention to.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:52 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I ordered 8 T10 green led bulbs and 5 green led rocker switches from ebay today.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:53 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

I took the christmas bow off =P

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?