General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 05:04 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Went to the lock smith today to get some parts to fix the gate lock on the jimmy, working like new again. Glad to have it actualy working, since it has not since I got the thing last November.

Old 09-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member
bluejacket is on a distinguished road

Did the rear brakes today. Took half the time to do as the fronts did.

Old 09-08-2012, 09:51 AM
kellydog1 is on a distinguished road
Default Brakes

Were the rear brakes drum or disk? I have to replace my rear drums. Lots of nice springs to worry about. Did you replace the drums/ rotors or have them turned?

Old 09-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Default 97 Blazer 4 door 4x4 Body Rust repair

After many weeks of fixing the body rust on my 97 Blazer. I am ready for final top coat of black paint.

I replaced parts of the rocker panels and fenders with new sheet metal. For the first time I used the 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive. It worked very well and I did not have to rent a MIG welder. Sealed and bonded in one step.

For the small rusted areas that were in the around the wheel well I used short strand Fiberglass Body Filler and covered it with wax paper while I molded it into shape. This worked out well and the rough finish came out nicely.

Spending a lot of time on cutting out the rust areas and treating what was left with rust-mort and grinding - sanding. This gave me solid metal to attach too.

First time using 2K acrylic urethane primer, sprayed and covered nicely. But it hardens up quickly so I had to clean up the sprayer when I was done. What was left in my mixing cup turned very solid.

As many of the Blazer forum users have posted. Spend the time sanding and fixing all the little areas. Primed again then glaze followed by and more sanding. I followed that advice and have a nice finish to put the final coat on.

Here are the suppliers that really helped me a lot.

Sherwin-Williams automotive refinishing in Troy MI - Get help with all my questions and the little things I always needed before I left the store.

Autobodytoolmart.com Fast shipping, I would order order by 3 PM and it would arrive by 2 PM the next day normal ground.

O'Reilly Auto Parts for all the “I need it now stuff”. Great hours and open every day.

Last, and most important to all of you. For your posts, tips and how to do it advice. I never would have done this without your help and success stories!!!

Old 09-08-2012, 12:04 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Well, I have not gotten it done yet, but today I am going to fix the rust around the windshield. Getting all I can get done before winter so it does not get worse.

Kellydog1, 3m panel bonding adhesive? I have not heard of that? you said it works pretty well? Since I do not have access to a welder. would you recommend it?
I wonder how it holds up in the long run.

Old 09-08-2012, 01:15 PM
Starting Member
nunya is on a distinguished road

Fixed yet another ground issue (right turn signal works correctly now when the headlights are on) and replaced the cheesy horns with a pair from an Olds 98 I had waiting on my toolbox. They are a little bigger but still fit in the holes in the fenders perfectly and are direct plug in.
Name:  4E4E97C7-A9F9-4DAF-932B-C2835CB89857-4838-000010CEC5780E81.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  74.2 KB

Old 09-08-2012, 02:53 PM

Here is the info and video on the 3m panel bonding. 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive 08115
It needs a special gun to apply/mix but my Sherman Williams loaned me the gun when I bought the glue and tips, plus my body supplies. I also used it on a curved repair on my lower Yukon XL fender. I had the basic curve and then glued and tack screwed the sheet metal on. I removed the screws a few days later. That was months ago and it is still holding well. Just where gloves. I could not get it off my fingers when dry.

Old 09-09-2012, 01:29 PM
rebuilt85fullsize is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey all, I'm new to the forums and have an old 85 with rebuilt everything except the interior. I would like to find a really good online supplier to help me with the misc. parts, any suggestions.

Last edited by rebuilt85fullsize; 09-09-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2012, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rebuilt85fullsize
Hey all, I'm new to the forums and have an old 85 with rebuilt everything except the interior. I would like to find a really good online supplier to help me with the misc. parts, any suggestions.
How did you manage to pull that off in one day?

last night/ today I got the rust around the windshield fixed, going to be putting the trim in today, then waiting a week for the primer to gas out.

Also installed the sub/amp. It sounds damn good for only being 300rms. Will have photos later, once i get the trim in.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:46 PM
rebuilt85fullsize is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking WoW

Originally Posted by richphotos
How did you manage to pull that off in one day?

What I managed to do today was post a question and an angel replied and his name was Useless. Thanks for all your non help angel.
Please let me know if there is nothing I can do for U

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?