General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

what have you gotten done on your blazer today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 PM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mosseyoakgirl
saturday the guys hooked up front and rear brakes, along with my emergency brake as well, I changed the gaskets on the front and rear differentials, cleaned them up too, gears looked great! Took transfer case out and made a few changes there (not sure on the changes, the guys took care of that..lol) oh yea they changed output shafts, got a yolk off a renegade and matched it up with my output shaft

Sunday, the guys bled the brakes, put a crossmember bar in front and we shifted everything back so its all aligned now, we just have to relocate sway bar brackets and put blocks on rear and hook up vaccumn lines to front differential and front end alignment ; )

please check out pics, I am updating them now ; )
Well there seems to me you got quite a bit done on your blazer.Always nice to have some helping hands.I can only wish.Mine would have probaly been on the road by now

Old 12-13-2012, 11:43 PM
Beginning Member
1980gold is on a distinguished road

i am not sure it seemed fairly immediate, i did get an evap code tonight though but throttle response was immediate

Old 12-14-2012, 08:05 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

Spent some time on the Blazer yesterday, and she's running GREAT now. I installed the new distributor, but had the same problem - couldn't even get it to fire once. All along I've suspected the spark plug gap, because in all my years of driving I NEVER ran .060" (spec for '96+ 4.3's) on a carb/HEI setup. Turns out, that was the problem! Since the truck ran fine all last season, I suspect that the head gaskets were leaking compression ... so when I installed new ones, that upped the compression just enough to push the ignition over it's limit. Must've been on the ragged edge all along.

After removing all the plugs and re-gapping to .037", she fired right up and idled perfect - something I couldn't get it to do before. I then cleaned my glass fuel filter & installed a new screen, removed and cleaned the stepper rods in the carb, and removed the vacuum advance vac line from the carb and plugged it off. Now she runs stronger than ever!

So actually it was a combination of the plug gap, and the new distributor having too aggressive of an advance curve. Either way, problem solved. Now I've got from now till next winter to fix the front diff actuator.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:06 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

sweet smitty. glad you got it figured out. i was gonna ask you to mail me the edelbrock manifold before you scrapped it lol.

Today i put some undercoating on my rear end. Why? i dunno. i was bored and felt like doing it. Ive got nothing to do today.

edit : I did plugs today....man i forgot how much the # 3 was a pita.

Last edited by chris015; 12-14-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 AM
Beginning Member
dbshortwave is on a distinguished road

I'm selling old red, I need to find a smaller economical car. may have to travel out of county to get a job. :\

Old 12-15-2012, 07:51 AM

I hear ya Chris - scrapping was definitely in the back of my mind ...

Yep #3 sucks. Wasn't any better on the 2nd gen engine being in a 1st gen chassis - thought it would be .......... wishful thinking LOL.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:10 AM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Smitty Smithsonite
I hear ya Chris - scrapping was definitely in the back of my mind ...

Yep #3 sucks. Wasn't any better on the 2nd gen engine being in a 1st gen chassis - thought it would be .......... wishful thinking LOL.
When i did plugs the first time 2 years ago I had JUST enough clearance at the time to sneak it out with a bunch of 3" extensions and a socket. Well, this time i couldnt get it out that way at all. i couldnt figure out why until i thought about it. I put in a new engine mount a month ago. It raised the engine a killed that tad bit of clearance i needed. Now i see why everyone fussed about it. I thought everyone was just being babies lol. Yea,i cussed and fussed this time. ended up using a craftsman socket wrench that had a lower profile head and it fit between the shaft and the socket.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:26 AM

Nice! With my setup I was just able to get the ratchet on the end of the deep socket with no extension ... BUT ... when I got close to the end of the threads, I had to remove the ratchet ahead of time - otherwise I'd be up against the column with no place to go! Definitely a PITA.

If anyone's interested, I just posted in the classified section a COMPLETE DOT approved 6,000K HID setup WITH lens conversion!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

went to target to do some christmas shopping, for anyone out there looking for a good deal, there is a meguiars gift box (all full size bottles) of the detailer spray, the endurance tire shine, the car wash, window cleaner and wax, for 17.99
picked up a couple of them

Old 12-15-2012, 05:44 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Installed new rear rotors and pads. All AC Delco. Rotors from Rock Auto and Pads from Amazon. Right rear pads had nothing left. Grinding metal on metal every time I stopped. Left rear had a little bit of pad left. Next up is the front rotors and pads.

Quick Reply: what have you gotten done on your blazer today?