General Chat Chat about all things Blazer (and related vehicles). Off-topic stuff should be in the lounge, and all mechanical problems should be posted in the proper forum.

What Parts Should I Nick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member
Bretta78 is on a distinguished road
Default What Parts Should I Nick?

So I am waiting for my '02 4 door 4wd LS to be ready to pick up from the dealer, it's taking longer then I would of hoped as the compliance plates (legal requirement for imports into Australia) have not arrived.

In the meantime, a parts mob around the corner from me has a '01 4 door 4wd LS waiting to be chopped.

As these trucks are not exactly common here in Australia, I thought it might make sense to see about buying some bits and pieces... but knowing next to nothing about cars, not sure what would be a good buy.

So, any suggestions? I figure that anything that fits on an '01 is going to fit on an '02, but if you know anything that won't match, please say so!

Also, this might be a total n00b question, but I will ask it anyway... if a part like an electric mirror is left sitting on a shelf for a few years... will it still work?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

as long as it doesn't get tired and die

stuff i would grab:

mirror switch-they tend to fail eventually
window motor-doesn't hurt to have an extra when your driver side window dies

caliper-depends on condition

all depends on price and what you need:

if the shocks are good take those

rims/tires

seats if they are leather

if it was close i would rob off the turn signal lever since its 275 buckeruse new here in MI and mine buzzes like a bee hive

also im not sure if any of that stuff is compatible between the two years. i would assume so , but that has got me in trouble before

Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks, will have a look at pretty much the whole suspension system, see whats worth grabbing.

Would it be logical to just take the entire driver's and passenger side front doors, including the rear view mirrors? Correct me if I am wrong (and I most likely am), but this would include:

* complete power window - glass, motor, switches
* complete rear view mirrors
* the rear view mirror fold flat switch (this is door mounted yes?)/ motor etc (didn't sound too healthy when I test drove the truck I am buying).
* spare doors

I'm also probably going to grab (just to keep things stock):
* sun visors (the plastic that covers the mirror/controls the lights seems pretty flimsy, think one is already broken on the truck I am buying)
* autodimming rear view mirror (the one in my truck seems stuck on dimmed)

I'm almost tempted to buy the whole thing, if I could figure out where to keep/how to store a second truck....

Any other aussie members on here looking for bits and pieces?

Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

well it depends on how much you want to spend on extra parts. If you have the money and the prices are right. I would take the tranny, encoder motor, seats if the recliner handles aren't broken yet, and some of the engine accessories.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:31 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry to sound dumb Nvanzee, but could you expand on what you mean by "engine accessories"?

Old 03-18-2010, 12:08 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

If I had the opportunity, I'd grab the side mirrors as these are easily broken & are expensive to replace. The US trucks do not have the power fold option & on the Jap Blazers these are an issue. Trust me, I've been there.
As you said, the sun visors break easily. If it's got leather seats - grab 'em. I did. They're plug & play and fully electric. Oh wait, you said it's an LS. That'll have the cloth seats. Check that the seat recliner levers are not broken. If not - grab 'em.
Grab the head & tail lights including the wiring harness as these are also a weak point. Again, this is an issue with the Jap trucks. Our's are 4 bulb & US trucks are 3 bulb. If you import the wiring harness from the US the bulb holders are slightly different, do fit but need to be forced into place.
Also grab the MAF sensor, TCCM & ECU.

If planning to ding your truck then by all means grab the doors, fenders & bumpers as these will be difficult to come by.

If in future you need used parts then Bunce Motors in Auckland have a big stock of Blazer bits.

So, front seats, sun visors, mirrors, head lights, tail lights (including wiring harness), TCCM & ECU first mate! The rest if you've the storage.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:13 AM
Beginning Member

Also grab the MAF sensor, TCCM & ECU
Gah? Can you, um, expand on those acronyms.... Man I feel like an idiot on this forum, now I know how my customers (IT) feel....

Thanks for the tip on the bits that are different from the US model to the Jap model, thats definitely important.

Mirrors, headlights, tail lights are now at the top of the list. What sort of money would these be worth in NZ (probably the closest comparison).

Old 03-18-2010, 12:49 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bretta78
Gah? Can you, um, expand on those acronyms.... Man I feel like an idiot on this forum, now I know how my customers (IT) feel....
MAF = Mass air flow sensor (betwee the carburetor & air filter)
TCCM = Transfer case control module (behind the panel under the dash on the passenger side) left in front of door.
ECU = Electronic control unit (in engine bay on left side behind the radiator resevoir)

Oh yea, also grab the A/c heater control, 4x4 switch & the vents (all 4)

I've shown where in these pics.

Attached Thumbnails What Parts Should I Nick?-p1010001.jpg   What Parts Should I Nick?-p1010002.jpg   What Parts Should I Nick?-p1010003.jpg  
Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

you know, my first thought was, "why not offer them a price on the whole damn truck"?

this way, you'll have everything stored in a good spot, and easily referenced as to where it goes.

plus, this way you'd be able to learn how to take apart that truck, so you don't damage anything on your truck.

MAF; M*** Air Flow meter. it's between the top of the filter box and the fresh air duct.

TCCM: Transfer Case Control Module. located behind the passenger side kick panel on the floor. but on your trucks, i'd guess it's behid the left side? could still be behind the right side.......

ECU: that's the brains for your truck (the computer under the hood).

like i said, getting the whole truck-with whatever is left of it-would be the best bet. but i'm sure it's not gonna be like getting a parts truck in NA. you can find one with a blown engine or trans for a couple of hundred dollars, or up to a grand. it all depends on the year & options on the truck.

i'm thinking @ least the power window switches (all of them) would be a given too.

**edit** that's funny Kiwi, i started writing before you posted, but had this weird feeling as i was going along someone had just beat me to it. freaky!

it's also funy how the TCCM is located behind the passenger's kick panel, it's just that you guys have it backwards over there. (remember where these trucks were designed & built).

Last edited by old skool luvr; 03-18-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:58 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

How much do they want for whole truck?
If you're going to go to that degree of parts, you might aswell buy the whole thing, just check out trademe .co.nz for a good price comparison.

Last edited by foxxie; 03-18-2010 at 01:05 AM.

Quick Reply: What Parts Should I Nick?